Ray Tompkins House
20 Tower Parkway, New Haven, CT 06520

"Ray Tompkins House, stands adjacent to the Payne Whitney Gymnasium on Tower Parkway, and while not physically a part of the gymnasium, is connected underground with it, and in general appearance is a part of it, having been designed by John Russell Pope of New York City, who was also the architect of the gymnasium. Funds for the building were provided by the bequest of Mrs. Sarah Wey Tompkins. in memory of her husband, Ray Tompkins of the Class of 1884, Yale College. Mr. Tompkins was one of the most prominent football players in the early history of the sport at Yale. He was captain of the 1882 and 1883 teams, and was an outstanding player. It was his memory also, that Mrs. Tompkins gave to the Athletic Association the magnificent tract of over 750 acres west of the Bowl, on which was built the Yale Golf Course, one of the most beautiful in the country." (From the Yale Daily News and Secretary's Office press release, date unknown).

Ray Tompkins House contains three floors (~44,380 sq. feet), and provides offices for the Athletic Department's Director and Associates, Varsity Sports Operations , Sport and Recreation, Alumni Affairs, Ticket Office, Financial Affairs, Facilities Management, Sports Publicity, Department Administrative Assistants, Equipment Manager, and Coaching Staff.

Included in the building is "Cafe Ray", a kitchen/lounge located in the basement, a full featured print shop, the second floor Varsity Room for meetings, a third floor sectioned meeting room with overhead projection, and the athletic archives collection.

View: Mobile | Desktop