Ray Tompkins House

Facility Ray Tompkins House
Date Constructed 1931
Designer John Russell Pope
Type of Construction Steel-reinforced brick with 4" sandstone facing. Sloped roofs are slate, flat roofs are lead-coated copper with soldered seams. Ornamental oak woodwork in many interior areas.
Size 44,380 sq. ft.
Three floors plus a finished basement and an unfinished attic.
Original Functions

Office/meeting/function complex for Athletics Department staff and Coaches.

Once included at the basement level were three bowling alleys, a billiard room, a dining room with a fully equipped kitchen to provide training table service, and an appartment for a live-in manager. The third floor provided dormitory space for more than 200 athletes.

 

Renovations In the early 1980s two large dormitory rooms were converted to offices for coaches, and a third was reconfigured as a classroom. In 1983 the Varsity Room, with its elegant oak paneling,was fully restored and refurbished. Major repairs to the roof and rain leaders were completed in 1991. In 1998, the final remaining dormitory on the third floor was converted to the Joel Smilow Football Offices, coaches offices on the second floor were reconfigured and refurbished, and a fully accessible bathroom created on the first floor.

View: Mobile | Desktop