HOW YOU CAN HELP YALE ATHLETICS
The athletic department at Yale is committed to creating a world-class experience for the student-athletes on all 35 varsity teams. As the landscape of Ivy League athletics becomes increasingly competitive, the financial support from our associations and friends of Yale Athletics is paramount to achieving that mission.
The economic downturn has impacted budgets throughout the country and clearly here at Yale. We have shifted our focus to growing our endowments and maximizing annual use funds for our teams. As a result, we have increased our annual fundraising goal for the entire Department by $500,000 – to $3 million total - and need all friends of Yale Athletics to know that any gift of any size will make an impact!
1) ANNUAL GIVING:
Every team at Yale is supported by a Sport Association. The Sport Associations are represented by a board of alumni and friends, that provide up-to-date information about our programs, support our student athletes, and to help sustain the proud and storied tradition of Athletics at Yale. In addition to raising money the Associations enhance the experience of current Yale players and establish a strong connection between Yale Athletics and the greater Yale community through such initiatives as career networking and job placement, and special events (including receptions, golf outings, and alumni/ae games).
RAY TOMPKINS ASSOCIATES ATHLETICS DIRECTORS EXCELLENCE FUND:
Yale Athletics is excited to announce the expansion of the Ray Tompkins Associates annual giving fund. The RTA is a general, unrestricted fund that promotes excellence across all of 35 varsity teams. It will be used at the discretion of the Athletic Director to ensure all sports, and the athletic department itself, will have the resources necessary to operate at the highest levels. The fund will support the most urgent of needs within Yale Athletics.
Quick facts about the Ray Tompkins Associates Excellence Fund:
- Used at discretion of Athletic Director to supplement the budgets of the most needy sports and for general Athletics needs
- Varsity letter participation awards
- End of year student-athlete recognition events
- Captains Council leadership training sessions
- Coaches professional development
- Varsity athlete practice sweats
- Special one-time program costs associated with taking a team to the next level
- All donations are unrestricted and go towards the yearly donations raised
- Will help keep Yale as one of the premier athletics programs in the country!
2.) ENDOWMENT GIFTS
FULLY ENDOWING OUR ATHLETIC PROGRAMS WOULD PROVIDE US WITH THE PROTECTION TO THRIVE REGARDLESS OF THE ECONOMIC CLIMATE
New programmatic and coaching endowments help to sustain success in perpetuity for our athletic programs. There are unlimited opportunities for donors to leave a lasting and meaningful legacy for their favorite Yale team(s). Establishing a new endowment fund or adding to an existing endowment, allows you to ensure that our coaches and student-athletes have a consistent support base well into the future.
HEAD COACHING ENDOWMENTS
- A named coaching endowment can be established with a gift of $2 million
- Funds from coaching endowments are used to recruit and retain the strongest coaching faculty in the Ivy League.
- Coaching endowments are recognized any time that a coach’s names is used in the media, websites, stationary, and on personal email signature
- Coaching endowments can be named in honor of a family, coach, team, or class – the possibilities are endless
- Head Coaching endowments are recognized on a plaque in the main lobby of Ray Tompkins House
- Available head coaching positions include: Baseball, Men’s Golf, Women’s Golf, Women’s Ice Hockey, Gymnastics, Softball, and Volleyball
- A named programmatic endowment can be established with a minimum gift of $100,000 (payable over 5 years)
- An endowment can be named in honor of a family, coach, team, class, or former student-athlete – the possibilities are endless
- The spendable yield from a programmatic endowment is used to offset the annual operating costs of a given team, including competition travel, recruiting and equipment.
- Some programmatic endowment gifts include family naming opportunities.
- CLICK HERE for a complete list of naming opportunities.
- Endowments are provided annual stewardship reports from the University which include growth of the principal and the use of the spendable yield
- Endowment funds are invested along with the larger Yale endowment and managed by Chief Investment Officer, David Swensen and his staff
- Endowments are provided name recognition within the Yale Athletics Annual Review and specific sports newsletters
For information on how to make a gift to an endowment, or to learn more, please contact Tori Untiet, Director of Athletic Development & External Communications by email, firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone (203) 432-1419
3) REUNION GIVING:
Reunions are a great way to support Yale Athletics with a special gift. All gifts (annual or endowment) to any athletic accounts COUNT towards your personal and class giving totals for your next reunion. Please consider making a pledge to your favorite team or the RTA AD’s Excellence Fund in honor of your next reunion.
CLICK HERE FOR ATHLETIC REUNION FAQ’s: http://www.yalebulldogs.com/information/alumni/associations/Reunion_Giving_FAQ.pdf
HOW TO MAKE A GIFT TO YALE ATHLETICS