Football Student Tailgate Rules
Yale Student Tailgating Rules
We are committed to creating a safe and enjoyable environment
for all fans, both in our venues and in the parking lots. You are
responsible for your conduct. Yale University permits tailgating on
football game days in designated areas, during specified hours, and
under the conditions outlined in these Tailgating rules.
Yale Event Staff, Parking Staff, Security Staff and Law
Enforcement will enforce all policies. All guests’ belongings
including vehicles are subject to search by staff. Persons
visibly under the influence or impaired will not be admitted into
the tailgate areas or the Yale Bowl. Yale University reserves the
right to alter and interpret regulations described below. Together,
let’s continue the great tradition that is Yale
- Tailgating begins three (3) hours prior to kickoff.
- Tailgating will end at kick-off.
Tailgating Permits and
- Residential Colleges and student organizations are required to
register their tailgate and receive advance
permission from the Athletics Department.
- The permit will provide a designated area in the student
village by Gate C of the Yale Bowl.
- Organizations must register their tailgate by Thursday at 5 PM
before each home game.
- Spaces are limited and are filled on a first-come, first-serve
- Upon departing, you are expected to clean up your space. Bring
trash bags with you to dispose of trash. Neatly tied trash bags can
be left or taken to dumpster in the tailgate village. Please
refrain from leaving loose trash and litter.
Transportation to and
from Yale Bowl
- Shuttle buses will begin running at 8:30 AM from two locations:
Payne Whitney Gymnasium and corner of Chapel and York Street.
- Shuttle buses will drop off on Yale Avenue at the entrance of
the Student Tailgate Village.
- All return shuttles will stop at Chapel and York Street and
Payne Whitney Gymnasium.
- Shuttle buses will end at 4 PM.
Setting up and
Breaking Down a Tailgate Area
- Groups can hire a vendor to cater the tailgate OR students can
drop off equipment or food on their own.
- Approved tailgates can set-up beginning at 6 AM. Set-up must be
completed by 8:00 AM. Any vendors or students that arrive after
8:30 AM will NOT be permitted to set-up.
- A staging area on Yale Avenue where vehicles can park to unload
- Only approved caterer vehicles will be able to drive into the
village during the set-up time.
- Vehicles will then need to park in Lot A.
- Vendors and or individuals will need to break down at the
conclusion of the student tailgate between Noon at 1:30 PM.
Breakdown cannot occur prior to this time.
Entering the Student
- All guests, students and alumni entering the student tailgate
area will need to present valid identification. Those persons over
the age of 21 will receive a wristband, which permits the
consumption of alcohol
The following items and activities are allowed:
- Gas Grills with a maximum propane cylinder size of 20 lbs.
- Consumption of alcoholic beverages by persons of legal drinking
age, and in conformance with Connecticut State Laws, City of New
Haven Ordinances, and University Policies
- Tables, pop-up tents, tailgate chairs and/or furniture.
The following items and activities are NOT allowed:
- Kegs, drinking game accessories, excessive quantities or common
source containers of alcoholic beverages
- Underage Drinking
- Glass containers
- Open fires fueled by charcoal, wood, or other combustible
materials of any kind
- Amplified music
- No electric or gas generators
- Athletics will provide a DJ for all Home Games
- A beer garden will be available from 10 AM to 11:45 AM. Beer
will be available for individuals of age and will be provided no
more than two.
- Food will also be available with water stations.
If your conduct endangers or disrupts the players, coaches,
officials, or other patrons, the University reserves the right to
remove you from the premises without a refund and with a potential
loss of ticket privileges for future games. Yale University
students who are in violation of policy may be referred to their
Residential College Master for follow-up and possible disciplinary