Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Late Rally Lifts No. 12 Brown

Late Rally Lifts No. 12 Brown

April 4, 2009

Final Stats

PROVIDENCE, R.I. - The Bulldogs held the Bears in their cave for more than three quarters, but the larger claws prevailed in the end. The No. 12 Brown men's lacrosse team, dominated statistically by the visitors, scored the game's last seven goals to take a 13-9 Ivy League contest from Yale on a blustery day at Stephenson Field.

The Bulldogs (4-5, 1-3 Ivy) were fired up the minute they got off the bus, but had to overcome early adversity to put a legitimate scare into the Bears. Despite going down 3-1 early in the first quarter, Yale fought back a few times to stay in it. The Elis erased a 5-3 deficit in the second quarter with five straight goals, by five different players, and six of the next seven tallies over a 6:20 span to take a 9-6 lead in the third.

After winning an OT game at Penn to open the 2009 Ivy season, the Bulldogs hung with perennial national powers Cornell and Princeton at Reese Stadium and gained confidence while gaining strength in experience. That certainly helped today as the Elis held the lead over the favored home team for most of the game.

Yale's domination on this day was due in large part to the outstanding day for senior M Kevin Discepolo, the Ivy's top faceoff man (.572), who won 18 of 24 faceoffs and allowed Yale to enjoy the lead for most of the day.

A Brendan Gibson, M Michael Karwoski and M Matt Miller each hit the net twice for the Elis, while A Brian Douglass handed out a pair of assists in the offensive outburst, which ended at 4:52 of the third.

Brown (9-1, 2-0), which got 14 saves from goalie Jordan Burke, held the Blue scoreless for the last 25:08 and rallied midway through the fourth to win its seventh straight game. Thomas Muldoon led the home team with four goals.

Sophomore Johnathan Falcone had four saves in the Yale net but saw 10 fewer (38-28) shots than Burke. Yale's edge in ground balls (37-26) and in faceoffs (18-6) certainly took some pressure off him.

The Bulldogs, who were scoreless on three man-up situations, carried a 9-7 lead into the fourth quarter and did their best to slow things down. Yale's ability to clear the ball (13-for-13 at that point) became more challenged at that point. The Blue finished 16-for-20 on clears, while Brown missed on six of 28.

Brown A Collins Carey cut the deficit to 9-8 at 9:42 before Andrew Feinberg (3 goals) caught the Yale defense in transition and evened things at 9-9 less than a minute later. That changed the visitors' fourth-quarter plans, so when Jack Walsh's first shot of the day made it 10-9 at 7:18, and gave the Bears their first lead since the second quarter, Yale had to scramble to find its offensive again. But it was too late for a rally.

Yale's next game is Aril 11 at Reese Stadium against No. 20 Fairfield.

Recap filed by Steve Conn, Yale Associate AD & Sports Publicity Director

Video has no source Url in width="425" height="344">

Video by David Dikranian