Season Kicks Off With Trip To Fordham
Bulldogs Open On Road For Second Straight Year
NEW HAVEN, Conn. – The Yale men's soccer team kicks off the 2013 season with a trip to Fordham. The Bulldogs and Rams meet Friday at 5 p.m. at Jack Coffey Field.
Here are the key storylines for the game.
* While Yale will be playing for the first time, Fordham has two games under its belt. The Rams split two games at the James Madison Invitational last weekend, falling 2-1 to JMU and then rallying for a 2-1 victory over Virginia Tech.
* The Bulldogs return their top three leading scorers from a year ago – Scott Armbrust, Peter Jacobson and Jenner Fox. Still Yale scored only nine goals last season, so the Bulldogs will be hoping for a little more firepower in 2013.
* Friday will be the first opportunity for Nick Alers to impress the Senior CLASS Award selection committee. Alers, a three-time All-Ivy defender, was named as one of 30 candidates for the prestigious award last month.
* Yale will need to get used to playing away from home. Five of the first six games are on the road.
* The Bulldogs are 2-2-1 in their last five season openers.
* Yale and Fordham played a spirited scoreless tie in New Haven last year. The Bulldogs had an 11-8 advantage in shots in a relatively evenly played match. The only other meeting between the teams was a 2-1 Yale victory in 1990.
* Fordham was picked to finish sixth in the 13-team Atlantic 10 conference. Freshman Andrew Hickey was named to the Conference's Preseason All-Rookie Team. Hickey has one of the Rams' three goals on the season.
Report filed by Tim Bennett, Yale Sports Publicity