Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Fit To Be Tied; Bulldogs-CCSU Finish Deadlocked At 2-2

Fit To Be Tied; Bulldogs-CCSU Finish Deadlocked At 2-2

Oct. 16, 2007

Box Score |  Photo Gallery 

NEW HAVEN, Conn. - It was a night of firsts for Yale at Reese Stadium on Tuesday as Kevin Pope and Aden Farina-Henry both scored their first career goals. It wasn't quite enough to lead the Bulldogs to victory, though, as they were forced to settle for a 2-2 tie with Central Connecticut despite controlling play for much of the game.

Yale, which is now unbeaten in its last six games, outshot the Blue Devils 19-12 and had a number of good scoring opportunities.

"We were a bit unlucky, although I don't like to use that as an excuse," said Yale head coach Brian Tompkins. "It's frustrating not to capitalize when you have the upperhand."

CCSU (3-7-1) got on the board first just 5:39 into the game. Christopher Brown took a shot that got past Yale goalkeeper Erik Geiger. A Yale defender stopped it, but his clearing attempt struck Geiger and deflected into the net.

"It was a freak incident," Tompkins said.

Yale (2-4-4) held a 10-3 advantage in shots in the first half but still trailed 1-0 at the intermission. The Bulldogs' best chance to tie came in the 35th minute when Eric Meyer's shot hit the post.

Yale finally got the equalizer early in the second half. Pope took a pass from James Craig, dribbled up the right wing and fired a shot past Central goalkeeper Chris Jones at 53:16.

Nearly five minutes later, the Blue Devils regained the lead. Ryan Gannon fired a shot that was blocked. The ball, though, came right to Johan Rundquist, who knocked it in from right in front.

The Bulldogs rallied again. In the 72nd minute, Max Rhodes sent a ball to Farina-Henry, who settled it, spun around and blasted a shot into the lower right corner.

"We showed a lot of resolve in coming back twice," Tompkins said. "One of the things that I love about this team is they don't quit. Even in the games we've lost, it wasn't from lack of effort."

Liam Leonard had a chance to give Yale the lead late in regulation, but Jones stopped his direct kick from just outside the box. The Bulldogs also nearly won it in the second overtime but Farina-Henry's shot from in front hit the left post.

Yale returns to Ivy League action on Saturday, playing at Penn at 7:30 p.m.

Report filed by Tim Bennett, Yale Sports Publicity