No. 3 Yale Loses to No. 2 Princeton 7-2
Jan. 31, 2009
NEW HAVEN, Conn. - No. 3 Yale fell to 12-2 this season with a 7-2 loss against No. 2 Princeton at home Saturday at the Brady Squash Center. The Tigers improved to 8-0 this season with the victory.
To start of the day, the Bulldogs dropped matches 3-0 at No. 3 and No. 6. It looked like it could be a long day for the Bulldogs. Then, Plimpton won 9-1, 9-1, 9-2 at No. 9 over Jesus Pena.
The Bulldogs dropped another two matches at the No. 2 and No. 5 slots. At this point, Campbell provided some relief at the No. 8 spot. Campbell pulled out a 10-8, 6-9, 10-8, 9-4 decision.
With Yale trailing Princeton 4-2 in matches, it looked as if Yale may have had a shot to win the match. At No. 4, freshman John Roberts battled with his opponent. Sophomore John Fulham surprised opponent Mauricio Sanchez, one of the best collegiate players in the country at No. 1 by making it a close match.
Sanchez and the Tigers proved too much for Fulham and the Bulldogs in the end and pulled out the 7-2 victory.
Roberts went five at the No. 4 slot with opponent David Letourneau. Letourneau ended up winning 4-9, 9-7, 9-6, 6-9, 9-7 to seal Princeton's victory
However, with the result still undecided, Fulham's match against Sanchez was a back-and-forth affair. Fulham jumped out to an early lead in the first game only to lose the first game 9-6. In the second game, Fulham came out and played flawless squash to win the game 9-4.
Fulham once against jumped out to a lead in the third game by taking a 7-3 advantage. Sanchez stepped up and one that game 9-7. Then with the victory in hand for Princeton, Sanchez finished Fulham and put the exclamation mark on Princeton's victory by winning the fourth 9-6.
Yale will host Brown next Saturday.
1. Mauricio Sanchez (P) def. John Fulham (Y) 9-6, 4-9, 9-7, 9-6
2. Kimlee Wong (P) def. Aaron Fuchs (Y), 9-6, 9-0, 9-2
3. Christopher Callis (P) def. Todd Ruth (Y), 9-4, 9-3, 9-6
4. David Letourneau (P) def. John Roberts (Y), 4-9, 9-7, 9-6, 6-9, 9-7
5. David Canner (P) def. Naishadh Lalwani (Y), 2-9, 9-5, 9-1, 9-1
6. Santiago Imberton (P) def. Francis Johnson (Y), 9-5, 9-4, 9-7
7. Hesham El Halaby (P) def. Ryan Dowd (Y), 3-9, 9-5, 9-3, 9-1
8. Colin Campbell (Y) def. Peter Sopher (P), 10-8, 6-9, 10-8, 9-4
9. Christopher Plimpton (Y) def. Jesus Pena (P), 9-1, 9-1, 9-2
Report Filed by Steven Horn '10, Yale Sports Publicity
Video by Neil Horowitz '09, Yale Sports Publicity