NEW HAVEN, Conn. - Yale clinched victory over Marist by winning four of six singles matches to improve to 6-3 on the season Saturday at the Cullman-Heyman Tennis Center. The Bulldogs concluded their match by winning two of three doubles matches to win the doubles point Sunday.
Yale won matches at the top four singles matches to clinch the victory. At No. 1 singles, freshman Marc Powers won 7-5, 6-0 over Christian Coley. Freshman John Huang cruised to a 6-4, 6-3 win over Loic Sessagesimi at No. 2 singles. Playing No. 3 singles, junior Calvin Bennett rolled to a 6-2, 6-3 win over Nicolas Pisecky. Freshman Daniel Hoffman battled to a 4-6, 6-1, 6-4 win over Landon Greene at No. 5 singles.
The Bulldogs concluded their match by winning two of three doubles matches on Sunday. At No. 1 doubles, the doubles team of Bennett and sophomore Erik Blumenkranz won 8-5 over Himmelsbach and Coley. Playing No. 2 doubles, Huang and junior Jordan Abergel defeated Pisecky and Van Eck 8-5.
1. Marc Powers (Y) def. Christian Coley (M), 7-5, 6-0
2. John Huang (Y) def. Loic Sessagesimi (M), 6-4, 6-3
3. Calvin Bennett (Y) def. Nicolas Pisecky (M), 6-2, 6-3
4. Daniel Hoffman (Y) def. Landon Greene (M), 4-6, 6-1, 6-4
5. Matt Himmelsbach (M) def Connor Dawson (Y), 6-4, 6-4
6. Marcus Vonnordheim (M) def. Jordan Abergel (Y), 7-6, 6-2
1. Bennett / Erik Blumenkranz (Y) def. Himmelsbach / Coley (M), 8-5
2. Huang / Abergel (Y) def. Pisecky / Van Eck (M), 8-5
3. Sessagesimi / Green (M) def. Matthew Schimmel / Ryan Berman (Y), 8-5
Report Filed by Steven Horn '10, Yale Sports Publicity