Yale Defeats St. Johns 4-3
NEW HAVEN, Conn. – Yale improved to 11-5 on the season with a 4-3 victory over St. John’s Saturday at the Cullman-Heyman Tennis Center.
The Bulldogs won two of three doubles matches to claim the doubles point in the victory. At No. 1 doubles, the doubles team of sophomore Erik Blumenkranz and sophomore Joel Samaha cruised to an 8-2 win over Asaf Honig and Derek Wallensteen. Playing No. 3 doubles, freshman John Huang and freshman Daniel Hoffman pulled out an 8-5 win over Milo Hauk and Michael Lampa.
Yale also won three singles matches in the victory. At No. 1 singles, freshman Marc Powers cruised to a straight set 6-0, 6-2 win over Pavel Cerny. Huang handled Hauk in straight sets 6-4, 6-1 at No. 2 singles.
Blumenkranz clinched the victory for the Bulldogs in an exciting three set match at No. 6 singles. After winning the first set 6-2, Blumenkranz dropped the second 7-5. The sophomore then battled to a 7-5 third set victory to clinch the win for the Bulldogs.
Yale takes on No. 74 Binghamton Sunday at home.
1. Marc Powers (Y) def. Pavel Cerny (S), 6-0, 6-2
2. John Huang (Y) def. Milo Hauk (S), 6-4, 6-1
3. Asaf Honig (S) def. Calvin Bennett (Y), 6-7, 6-4, 2-2 (3)
4. Michael Lampa (S) def. Daniel Hoffman (Y), 6-1, 6-4
5. Stefan Bojic (S) def. Connor Dawson (Y), 6-3, 3-6, 6-3
6. Erik Blumenkranz (Y) def. Martin Kosut (S), 6-2, 5-7, 7-5
1. Blumenkranz / Joel Samaha (Y) def. Honig / Wallensteen (S), 8-2
2. Kosut / Cerny (S) def. Bennett / Powers (Y), 8-6
3. Huang / Hoffman (Y) def. Hauk / Lampa (S), 8-5
Report Filed by Steven Horn ’10, Yale Sports Publicity