Feb. 21, 2009
NEW HAVEN, Conn. - Yale improved to 4-2 with a 4-3 victory over Navy Saturday at home. Senior Jeff Dawson won the deciding match in three sets to clinch the victory for the Bulldogs.
The Bulldogs started off the day by sweeping all three doubles matches. At No. 1 doubles, senior Michael Caldwell and junior Connor Dawson rolled to an 8-2 victory over Nate Nelms and John Waters. Jeff Dawson and freshman Erik Blumenkranz won 8-4 over Ramsey Lemaich and Owen Bullard at the No. 2 doubles spot. Playing No. 3 doubles, senior Josh Lederman and freshman Joel Samaha pulled out an 8-6 victory over Jason Hill and Nick Birger.
Yale won matches at the top three singles spots. At the No. 3 singles spot, Connor Dawson defeated Waters 7-5, 7-6. Caldwell cruised to a 6-3, 6-3 win at No. 2 singles over Marcus Rebersak.
The whole match came down to Jeff Dawson. Dawson won the first set 6-4 over Nelms, but then dropped the second set 6-1. Dawson battled to a 6-4 third set win to secure the victory for Yale.
Yale will host Army Sunday.
1. Jeff Dawson (Y) def. Nate Nelms (N), 6-4, 1-6, 6-4
2. Michael Caldwell (Y) def. Marcus Rebersak (N), 6-3, 6-3
3. Connor Dawson (Y) def. John Waters (N), 7-5, 7-6
4. Jason Hill (N) def. Joel Samaha (Y), 6-4, 7-6
5. Ramsey Lemaich (N) def. Erik Blumenkranz, 6-4, 6-3
6. Owen Bullard (N) def. Tom Santoro (Y), 4-6, 7-5, 6-0
Report Filed by Steven Horn '10, Yale Sports Publicity