Feb. 22, 2009
NEW HAVEN, Conn. - Yale improved to 5-2 with a 6-1 victory Sunday over Army at home. The Bulldogs swept all three doubles matches in the win.
Playing No. 1 doubles, senior Michael Caldwell and junior Connor Dawson rolled to an 8-3 victory over Chis Albornoz and Jordan Girdley. At the No. 2 doubles spot, senior Josh Lederman and sophomore Calvin Bennett pulled out an 8-6 win over Phil Muhawi and Donald Van Velzer. The freshmen doubles team of Erik Blumenkranz and Joel Samaha cruised to an easy 8-1 victory at No. 3 doubles over Bruno Lucivero and John Lucero.
Senior Jeff Dawson won 6-1, 6-1 at No. 1 singles over Muhawi. Caldwell also won in straight sets 6-3, 7-6 at No. 2 singles over Girdley. Playing No. 5 singles, Samaha rolled to a 6-2, 6-1 win over Lucero. Blumenkranz won 6-1, 6-3 over Peter Williams at No. 6 singles.
1. Jeff Dawson (Y) def. Phil Muhawi (A), 6-1, 6-1
2. Michael Caldwell (Y) def. Jordan Girdley (A), 6-3, 7-6
3. Chis Albornoz (A) def. Connor Dawson (Y), 6-1, 6-2
4. Calvin Bennett (Y) def. Donald Van Velzer (A), 1-2, ret.
5. Joel Samaha (Y) def. John Lucero (A), 6-2, 6-1
6. Erik Blumenkranz (Y) def. Peter Williams (A), 6-1, 6-3
1. Caldwell / C. Dawson (Y) def. Albornoz / Girdley (A), 8-3
2. Josh Lederman / Bennett (Y) def. Muhawi / Van Velzer (A), 8-6
3. Blumenkranz / Samaha (Y) def. Lucivero / Lucero (A), 8-1
Report Filed by Steven Horn '10, Yale Sports Publicity