Bulldogs Roll Through Navy, UConn
Feb. 25, 2007
New Haven, CT - Yale (3-2) picked up two victories Sunday as they defeated both Navy (5-4) and Connecticut (0-3) 7-0. The Bulldogs did not drop one match in their home openers.
First, the Bulldogs led by sophomore Michael Caldwell at No. 1 defeated Navy by winning all five singles matches and the doubles match. Then, the Bulldogs led by senior Brandon Wai at No. 1 cruised to victory against Connecticut without dropping a single set. Yale only dropped one set overall on the day.
Alex Dorato, the Cary Leeds Head Coach of Men's Tennis, said he was happy with the way his team played.
"The team played very well in both matches," Dorato said. "We won these very decisively."
The Bulldogs will host both Purdue and Loyola Marymount next weekend. Dorato said the wins today will help his team going into these next two matches.
"This will help a lot," Dorato said. "Next weekend is going to be two very good matches. Loyola Marymount just beat a nationally ranked team this week. Both of these are going to be very tough matches. The guys are playing with a lot of confidence."
1. Michael Caldwell (Y) def. Nate Nelms (N), 7-5, 6-2
2. Jeff Dawson (Y) def. Jason Hill (N), 6-3, 6-1
3. Rory Green (Y) def. Adrian Lai (N), 6-3, 6-4
4. Matt Schimmel (Y) def. Stanley Kahl (N), 3-6, 6-1, 6-4
5. Josh Lederman (Y) def. Luke Albi (N), 6-4, 6-1
1. Brandon Wai / Chris Lawler (Y) def. Alex James / Ramsey Lemaich (N), 6-3, 6-3
1. Brandon Wai (Y) def. Ben Schueler (C), 6-0, 6-1
2. Rory Green (Y) def. Joey Michaels (C), 6-3, 6-0
3. Matt Schimmel (Y) def. Joe Goldstein (C), 6-0, 6-1
4. Josh Lederman (Y) def. Christan Malerba (C), 6-2, 6-2
5. Connor Dawson (Y) def. Nate Carvalho (C), 6-2, 6-1
6. Tom Santoro (Y) def. Aaron Ribchinsky (C), 6-0, 6-0
1. Chris Lawler / Michael Caldwell (Y) def. Ben Schueler / Joe Goldstein (C), 8-5
2. Jeff Dawson / Tom Santoro (Y) def. Christian Malerba / Joey Michaels (C), 8-3
3. Joe Vellanikaran / Matt Schimmel (Y) def. Nate Carvalho / Thomas Cook (C), 8-6
Report filed by Steven Horn '10, Yale Sports Publicity