March 4, 2007
Wai came away with a 6-3, 6-1 victory against Nikola Petrov at No. 1 singles. Schimmel pulled out a 6-3, 7-6 victory at No. 5 singles against opponent Matt Phillips.
All four of Yale's singles losses came in three sets. Sophomore Michael Caldwell lost 6-7, 6-3, 7-6 in a tough third set tiebreaker to Loyola Marymount's Nicolas Terrien at No. 2 singles. Sophomore Jeff Dawson at No. 3 singles also fell after wining the first set 3-6, 7-6, 6-3. After winning the first set 6-4 at No. 4 singles, junior Rory Green lost the next two sets 6-3, 6-1.
The Bulldogs also dropped the doubles point in the match as only the doubles team of Wai and Green came away with a victory. Wai and Green pulled out an 8-2 victory over Terrien and Jacek Twarowski at No. 1 doubles.
After the match, Alex Dorato, the Cary Leeds Head Coach of Men's Tennis, said that the team put too much pressure on themselves.
"Today was not our best day," Dorato said. "We wanted to win so badly. We were a little bit off today. When we play well we can beat almost anyone."
1. Brandon Wai (Y) def. Nikola Petrov (L), 6-3, 6-1
2. Nicolas Terrian (L) def. Michael Caldwell (Y), 6-7, 6-3, 7-6
3. Sam Tadevosian (L) def. Jeff Dawson (Y), 3-6, 7-6, 6-3
4. Jacek Twarowski (L) def. Rory Green (Y), 4-6, 6-3, 6-1
5. Matt Schimmel (Y) def. Matt Phillips (L), 6-3, 7-6
6. Reyniere Roxas (L) def. Connor Dawson (Y), 6-2, 4-6, (10-5)
Report filed by Steven Horn '10, Yale Sports Publicity