April 5, 2008
Princeton, NJ - Yale (7-9, 1-1 Ivy) bounced back from an Ivy League season opening loss Friday against Penn to defeat No. 69 Princeton (9-7, 1-2 Ivy) 4-3 Saturday. The Bulldogs pulled out the doubles point in the victory.
At No. 2 doubles, freshman Calvin Bennett and junior Jeff Dawson pulled out an 8-5 victory. With the doubles matches split, freshman Jordan Abergel and sophomore Matt Schimmel saved three match points en route to a 9-8 victory at No. 3 doubles to secure the doubles point for the Bulldogs.
At No. 1 singles, it took only one set for Jeff Dawson to win as his opponent retired after Dawson won the first set 7-5. For the second straight day, sophomore Connor Dawson rolled to a straight set victory at No. 3 singles. Bennett provided the final victory for the Bulldogs with a straight set win at No. 4 singles.
Yale will host Columbia and Cornell next Friday and Saturday.
1. Jeff Dawson (Y) def. Peter Capkovic (P), 7-5, ret.
2. George Carpeni (P) def. Michael Caldwell (Y), 2-6, 7-5, 6-0
3. Connor Dawson (Y) def. Ryan Kim (P), 6-4, 6-2
4. Calvin Bennett (Y) def. Jonathan Leslie (P), 6-3, 6-3
5. Alex Faust (P) def. Tom Santoro (Y), 6-4, 6-3
6. Mark Gober (P) def. Jordan Abergel (Y), 5-7, 6-2, 6-2
1. Capkovic / Alex Vuckovic (P) def. Caldwell / C. Dawson (Y), 8-4
2. J. Dawson / Bennett (Y) def. Carpeni / Kim (P), 8-5
3. Matt Schimmel / Abergel (Y) def. Gober / Faust (P), 9-8 (4)
Report Filed by Steven Horn '10, Yale Sports Publicitys