No. 74 Quakers Edge Bulldogs 4-3
April 6, 2007
New Haven, CT - The Bulldogs (6-8, 0-1) dropped their Ivy League opener Friday to No. 74 Penn (8-11, 2-0) at home. Yale took the top three singles spots in the loss to last season's co-Ivy League champion.
Playing at No. 1 singles, senior Brandon Wai cruised to a straight set victory over No. 71 Jason Pinsky 6-4, 6-3. Sophomore Michael Caldwell came away with a three set victory at No. 2 singles over Jonathan Boym 6-4, 3-6, 6-4. Sophomore Jeff Dawson, playing at No. 3 singles, defeated Mikhail Bekker in straight sets 6-2, 6-4.
Despite winning the top three singles spots, the Bulldogs could not find another point in the loss to Penn. Yale dropped No. 4, 5 and 6 singles in straight sets. At No. 3 doubles, Caldwell and freshman Connor Dawson defeated Brandon O'Gara and Justin Fox 9-8. Penn came away with close victories in the other two doubles matches to win the doubles point, though.
Yale will play host to No. 75 Princeton Saturday.
1. Brandon Wai (Y) def. Jason Pinsky (P), 6-4, 6-3
2. Michael Caldwell (Y) def. Jonathan Boym (P), 6-4, 3-6, 6-4
3. Jeff Dawson (Y) def Mikhail Bekker (P), 6-2, 6-4
4. Justin Fox (P) def. Rory Green (Y), 6-2, 7-6
5. Joseph Lok (P) def. Connor Dawson (Y), 6-2, 6-4
6. Alex Vasin (P) def. Matt Schimmel (Y), 6-3, 6-4
1. Pinsky / Eric Riley (P) def. Wai / Green (Y), 8-6
2. Bekker / Boym (P) def. J. Dawson / Josh Lederman (Y), 9-8
3. Caldwell / C. Dawson (Y) def. Fox / Ogara (P), 9-8
Report filed by Steven Horn '10, Yale Sports Publicity