Bulldogs Trounce Cornell 6-1
April 14, 2007
Ithaca, NY - The Bulldogs (7-10, 1-3 Ivy) picked up their first Ivy League victory of the year Saturday with a 6-1 win over Cornell (13-7, 1-4) in Ithaca. Yale came away with victories at the first five singles spots and No. 1 and 3 doubles.
Playing at No. 1 singles, senior Brandon Wai defeated Nicholas Brunner in a third set tiebreaker. Sophomore Michael Caldwell won at No. 2 singles by defeating Joshua Raff 6-1, 6-4. Sophomore Jeff Dawson breezed by Daniel Brous in a 6-4, 6-4 victory at No. 3 singles. Playing at No. 4 singles, junior Rory Green cruised to a 7-5, 6-3 win over Rory Heggie. Freshman Connor Dawson came away with his first victory in an Ivy League match as he defeated Jonathan Fife in straight sets 7-6 (4), 7-6 (5) at No. 5 singles.
Wai and Green ousted Brunner and Richard Offutt at No. 1 doubles 8-5. Playing at No. 3 singles, Caldwell and Connor Dawson also came away with a victory over Daniel Brous and Kyle Doppeit 9-7.
Yale will host No. 74 Harvard next Friday at 2:30 p.m. ET.
1. Brandon Wai (Y) def. Nicholas Brunner (C), 6-3, 3-6 (6)
2. Michael Caldwell (Y) def. Joshua Raff (C), 6-1, 6-4
3. Jeff Dawson (Y) def. Daniel Brous (C), 6-4, 6-4
4. Rory Green (Y) def. Rory Heggie (C), 7-5, 6-3
5. Connor Dawson (Y) def. Jonathan Fife (C), 7-6 (4), 7-6 (5)
6. Josh Goldstein (C) def. Josh Lederman (Y), 6-3, 6-2
1. Wai / Green (Y) def. Brunner / Richard Offutt (C), 8-5
2. Peter Kung / Goldstein (C) def. J. Dawson / Lederman (Y), 8-5
3. Caldwell / C. Dawson (Y) def. Brous / Kyle Doppet (C), 9-7
Report filed by Steven Horn '10, Yale Sports Publicity