No. 64 Bulldogs Defeat Dartmouth 6-1
April 17, 2009
HANOVER, N.H. - The No. 64 Bulldogs improved to 3-2 in the Ivy League and 13-7 overall with a 6-1 victory over Dartmouth Friday in Hanover.
Yale won two of three doubles matches to win the doubles point. At No. 1 doubles, senior Michael Caldwell and junior Connor Dawson won 8-5. Seniors Jeff Dawson and Josh Lederman defeated Chris Ho and Justin Tzou at No. 3 doubles 8-3.
The Bulldogs won matches at No. 1 through No. 5 singles. Playing No. 1 singles, Jeff Dawson rolled to a 6-4, 6-4 win. Connor Dawson battled to a 7-6, 4-6, 6-4 victory over Curtis Roby. At the No. 3 singles spot, Caldwell pulled out a 6-3,4-6, 6-4 win over Tzou. It took three sets for sophomore Calvin Bennett to defeat Ari Gayer 6-4, 2-6, 6-2 at No. 4 singles. At the No. 5 singles slot, freshman Joel Samaha cruised to a 6-4, 6-3 win over Michael Laser.
Yale hosts Harvard on Sunday before finishing the season at home Wednesday against Brown. In order to win a share of the Ivy League Title, the Bulldogs would need to win out and have Columbia lose Sunday to Princeton.
1. Jeff Dawson (Y) def. W.Greif (D), 6-4, 6-4
2. Connor Dawson (Y) def. Curtis Roby (D), 7-6, 4-6, 6-4
3. Michael Caldwell (Y) def. Justin Tzou (D), 6-3, 4-6, 6-4
4. Calvin Bennett (Y) def. Ari Gayer (D), 6-4, 2-6, 6-2
5. Joel Samaha (Y) def. Michael Laser (D), 6-4, 6-3
6. Chris Ho (D) def. Erik Blumenkranz (Y), 6-4, 6-1
1. Caldwell / C. Dawson (Y) def. Laswer / Greif (D), 8-5
2. Gayer / Roby (D) def. Bennett / Samaha (Y), 8-7
3. J. Dawson / Josh Lederman (Y) def. Ho / Tzou (D), 8-3
Report Filed by Steven Horn '10, Yale Sports Publicity