Yale Defeats Dartmouth 5-2
April 22, 2007
Hanover, NH - The Bulldogs (8-11, 2-4 Ivy) ousted Dartmouth (14-7, 1-5 Ivy) with a 5-2 victory in Hanover Sunday. Yale came away with wins at No. 1, 2, 3 and 5 singles and won the doubles point to come away with the victory.
Yale won the doubles point with victories at No. 1 and No. 3 doubles. At No.3 doubles, sophomore Michael Caldwell and freshman Connor Dawson cruised to an 8-3 victory over Justin Tzou and Andrew Kim. Playing No. 1 doubles, senior Brandon Wai and junior Rory Green pulled out a 9-8 victory in a 7-4 tiebreaker over David Waslen and Steven McGaughey.
In singles, Wai improved to 5-1 in the Ivy League with a 6-4, 7-6 win over David Waslen at No. 1 singles. Likewise, Caldwell improved to 5-1 in the Ivy League with a 7-6, 6-4 win over Daniel Freeman at No. 2 singles. Sophomore Jeff Dawson cruised to a 6-3, 6-4 victory over Jeffrey Schechtman at No. 3 singles. Playing No. 5 singles, Connor Dawson pulled out a close one in three sets with a 6-3, 5-7, 6-4 victory over Ari Gayer.
Yale will conclude its season with a home match against Brown on Senior Day this Wednesday.
1. Brandon Wai (Y) def. David Waslen (D), 6-4, 7-6
2. Michael Caldwell (Y) def. Daniel Freeman (D), 7-6, 6-4
3. Jeff Dawson (Y) def. Jeffrey Schechtman (D), 6-3, 6-4
4. Steven McGaughey (D) def. Rory Green (Y), 6-3, 6-4
5. Connor Dawson (Y) def. Ari Gayer (D), 6-3, 5-7, 6-4
6. Justin Tzou (D) def. Matt Schimmel (Y), 6-3, 6-2
1. Wai / Green (Y) def. Waslen / McGaughey (D), 9-8 (4)
2. Schectman / Freeman (D) def. J. Dawson / Josh Lederman (Y), 9-8 (4)
3. Caldwell / C. Dawson (Y) def. Tzou / Andrew Kim (D), 8-3
Report filed by Steven Horn '10, Yale Sports Publicity