April 25, 2007
New Haven, CT - The Bulldogs (9-11, 3-4) ended the season on a high note Wednesday with a 5-2 victory over Brown (14-12, 1-6) on Senior Day at home. Senior captain Brandon Wai ended his Yale career on a high note with a victory at No. 1 singles.
However, Yale bounced back with victories at No.1, 2, 4, 5 and 6 singles. Wai concluded his Yale career with the victory and capped his season at 6-1 in the Ivy League. Last year's Ivy League Player of the Year, Wai looks to defend that title and receive another entry into the NCAA Singles Tournament.
Playing No. 2 singles, sophomore Michael Caldwell capped his season with a 6-1 record with a victory. Junior Rory Green pulled out a victory at No. 4 singles. Freshmen Connor Dawson and Matt Schimmel concluded their first season with the Bulldogs on high notes as well with victories at No. 5 and No. 6 singles.
The NCAA Tournament Selection show occurs on Tuesday.
1. Brandon Wai (Y) def. Dan Hanegby (B), 7-6, 6-4
2. Michael Caldwell (Y) def. Basudey Ratnam (B), 7-6, 6-3
3. Eric Thomas (B) def. Jeff Dawson (Y), 2-6, 6-4, 6-3
4. Rory Green (Y) def. Saurabh Kohli (B), 6-2, 7-6
5. Connor Dawson (Y) def. Zachary Pasanen (B), 6-7, 6-4, 6-2
6. Matt Schimmel (Y) def. Joe Scott (B), 6-3, 3-6, 6-4
1. No. 55 Kohli / Hanegby (B) def. Wai / Green (Y), 9-8
2. Thomas / Chris Lee (B) def. J. Dawson / Josh Lederman (Y), 8-4
3. Caldwell / C. Dawson (Y) def. Pasanen / Noah Gardner (B), 8-6
Report filed by Steven Horn '10, Yale Sports Publicity