Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Late Goal Lifts Dartmouth Past Yale 5-4

Taylor Marchin. (photo by Sam Rubin '95, Yale Sports Publicity)
Taylor Marchin. (photo by Sam Rubin '95, Yale Sports Publicity)

Three-Point Night for Tomimoto

HANOVER, N.H. – A see-saw women's ice hockey battle at Thompson Arena between Yale and Dartmouth came down to the final minute Friday night, when the Big Green's Ali Winkel potted the game-winner to give the home team a 5-4 win. The game saw four ties before Winkel finally put Dartmouth ahead for good. Senior defenseman Tara Tomimoto, Yale's captain, had a goal and two assists.

Dartmouth (4-12-0, 3-7-0 ECAC Hockey) went ahead 1-0 on a goal by defenseman Lauren Kelly at 5:35 of the first. While falling to the ice, she buried a feed from forward Karlee Odland.

Yale (5-10-1, 3-5-1 ECAC Hockey) tied the game two minutes later. The play started after Dartmouth's attempt to clear the puck was denied when the puck bounced off a Yale skate, and Tomimoto chipped it forward along the boards. There, sophomore forward Janelle Ferrara dug it out and passed it back up to Tomimoto. Tomimoto sent it towards the slot, with sophomore forward Jamie Haddad stationed in between the circles. With her back to the goal and a defender right behind her, Haddad stopped the puck with the back of her stick blade, then turned and wristed it in high to tie the game 1-1.

The Bulldogs went ahead on a power play after junior forward Jackie Raines drew a tripping call on the Big Green. After stopping Dartmouth's attempt to clear the zone, Ferrara eventually dug the puck out of the corner and gave it to Tomimoto along the boards near the left circle. Tomimoto quickly sent it around to freshman defenseman Taylor Marchin, who was wide-open just inside the blue line across the ice. Marchin blasted in a slap shot to put Yale up 2-1 at the 14:32 mark.

Yale very nearly went ahead 3-1 three minutes before the first intermission, but a shot by freshman forward Krista Yip-Chuck hit the post. That play loomed even larger after Dartmouth forward Lindsey Allen wristed one in from the right circle just 22 seconds before intermission, tying the game 2-2.

Dartmouth threatened to take the lead again two minutes into the second, as forward Kennedy Ottenbreit threaded her way through the Yale defense right to the doorstep. But Yale freshman goalie Hanna Mandl closed up the five-hole to deny Ottenbreit and keep the tie intact.

A power play gave Dartmouth the chance to go ahead 3-2, as defenseman Olivia Whitford's shot through traffic eluded Mandl at the 9:19 mark. Junior goalie Jaimie Leonoff then came on in relief.

Tomimoto tied the game late in the second after intercepting a clearing pass along the left boards. She got off a slap shot that found the back of the net with just 1:48 to play in the period, and the two teams went into the second intermission tied 3-3.

Leonoff made a spectacular stop a minute into the third despite having lost her stick. First, Marchin deflected away a dangerous shot in the crease. But Allen got the puck and put it right back on net, only to be denied by a last-second kick save by Leonoff that kept the game tied 3-3.

Leonoff made another big save with 11 minutes left in regulation, getting her left leg out to deny a wide-open shot from low in the right circle by defenseman Morgan Illikainen.

The Bulldogs took full advantage of a 2-on-1 to go ahead 4-3 with 9:51 left in the game. In the Yale zone, freshman forward Phoebe Staenz got the puck off the boards to Raines. Raines charged down the right side through the neutral zone and into the Dartmouth zone, drawing the lone defender out of position before firing a pass across to sophomore forward Hanna Åström. Åström waited for Dartmouth goalie Lindsay Holdcroft to try to scramble back into position before sliding the puck past her.

Just 90 seconds later, though, Allen knocked in a rebound and tied the score again.

The Bulldogs could not capitalize on a pair of power plays in the final eight minutes, and that came back to haunt them when the Big Green scored late in the third. Right after Leonoff made a kick save on a shot by Odland, forward Katy Ratty kept the puck alive and it ricocheted over to forward Ali Winkel, who rifled it past a prone Leonoff for the game-winner.

Yale visits No. 4 Harvard on Saturday.

Report by Sam Rubin '95 (, Yale Sports Publicity