Bulldogs Survive Late Scare from Clarkson for 3-2 Win

Bulldogs Survive Late Scare from Clarkson for 3-2 Win

Nov. 8, 2008

Box Score

NEW HAVEN, Conn. - Sophomore forward Bray Ketchum scored a pair of goals, freshman goaltender Genny Ladiges made 28 saves, and the Bulldogs survived a late scare from Clarkson for a 3-2 win at Ingalls Rink Saturday afternoon.

The Bulldogs had just two power play goals entering the game, but they converted their first opportunity Saturday. With Melissa Waldie in the box for slashing, Ketchum knocked in her third goal of the year at 10:58 off a nifty pass from senior forward Crysti Howser, with senior defenseman Helen Resor also assisting on the play.

That was the lone goal of the first period, as Ladiges made 11 saves. The Bulldogs extended their lead 63 seconds into the second period on an unassisted goal by Resor, who threw the puck on net and had it bounce in off Clarkson.

"Good things happen when you work hard," said Yale head coach Hilary Witt. "We never seemed to get those bounces in the past, but we did today, and that's what happens when you work hard."

Clarkson (3-5-2, 1-1-0 ECAC Hockey) responded with a goal by forward Juana Baribeau on a two-on-one five minutes later, but Ketchum scored again three minutes after that. She beat Clarkson goalie Eve Grandmont-Berube over her blocker on a two-on-one off assists by Howser and freshman forward Aleca Hughes. The Howser-Hughes-Ketchum line now has 25 points in the first five games, including four goals each from Howser and Ketchum.

The Golden Knights took advantage of a 5-on-3 late in the third to get within one on a goal by forward Britney Selina. Still on a man advantage even after the goal, Clarkson just missed tying the game with five minutes to play when a shot by forward Danielle Boudreau hit the crossbar.

Yale (2-3-0, 2-2-0 ECAC Hockey) continued to slow down the play -- the two teams combined for just 10 shots on goal in the third period -- and got a power play when senior forward Danielle Kozlowski was tripped with 2:18 to play. The Bulldogs were not able to extend their lead, but they seemed to have control of the game with the puck in the Clarkson zone. But when the Golden Knights were able to get it into Yale's end and pull Grandmont-Berube, they got a shot from forward Brittany Mulligan that Ladiges stopped.

The Bulldogs could not even breathe easily on a faceoff to Ladiges' right with 1.8 seconds left. The Golden Knights were able to get a shot off in traffic after the faceoff. The puck went in but did not cross the goal line before the clock hit zero; the goal judge's light remained green and the official immediately waved off the goal.

The Bulldogs return to action with a game at Colgate Friday at 7:00 p.m.

report by Sam Rubin '95 (sam.rubin@yale.edu), Yale Sports Publicity