Yale, ECAC Hockey Team Up with American Cancer Society for Pink at the Rink
Feb. 4, 2008
NEW HAVEN, Conn. - The Yale women's hockey team, along with ECAC Hockey and the American Cancer Society, has teamed up to help fight cancer with the newly-created "Pink at the Rink" program. Designed to raise funds for cancer research, "Pink at the Rink" will include many aspects, the most notable of which will be the specially-designed pink uniforms the Yale women will wear for their games vs. Princeton and Quinnipiac at Ingalls Rink Feb. 8 and 9. The jerseys will then be auctioned to raise money for the American Cancer Society.
This newly created variation of the traditional Coaches vs. Cancer program will provide critical outreach while raising funds in support of the American Cancer Society's lifesaving cancer research, education, advocacy and community service efforts. All ECAC Hockey women's teams will wear specially designed pink home jerseys on consecutive weekends -- February 8-9 and February 15-16 (road uniforms will remain unchanged). The jerseys will be personalized for each institution and showcase ECAC Hockey Coaches vs. Cancer and ECAC Hockey logo patches.
A minimum bid of $150 is sought for each player's jersey, with a "Buy It Now" feature on the Web site that allows a potential buyer to own the jersey of his/her choice for a flat price of $250. A computer will be set up at Ingalls Rink for fans wishing to place bids during the games on Feb. 8 and 9.
"All of ECAC Hockey is extremely excited about the inaugural Pink at the Rink project," remarked ECAC Hockey Commissioner Steve Hagwell. "With the efforts of our league administrators, coaches, student-athletes, on-ice officials and fans alike, we are confident of the benefits that will result from the program in supporting a cause that hits to close to home for many of us."
Other aspects of the weekend include:
- Admission to the Yale women's hockey games on Feb. 8 (7:00 vs. Princeton) and Feb. 9 (4:00 vs. Quinnipiac) is free. The Yale athletics department encourages all fans attending to donate to cancer research instead of paying for a ticket, and donations will be accepted at the entrance to Ingalls Rink.
- Yale is having special pink t-shirts made for the event. The t-shirts will be sold at Ingalls Rink during the women's games on Feb. 8 and 9. Proceeds will go to cancer research.
- The Yale coaching staff will wear pink scarves and ties. Hilary Witt, Yale's Head Coach of Women's Hockey, will autograph her game-worn scarf, which will then be placed on the new web site as part of the on-line auction to raise money for cancer research.
- Specialized "Coaches vs. Cancer" rubberized pink bracelets will be on sale at Ingalls Rink to benefit cancer research.
- Officials will be wearing pink armbands.
- There will be a ceremonial puck drop prior to the Yale women's game vs. Princeton Feb. 8.
- Feb. 8 and 9 is also Alumnae Weekend for the Yale women. All Yale women's hockey alums are invited to a special post-game reception and family skate at Ingalls after the game on Saturday Feb. 9. For further information on Alumnae Weekend, please call 203-432-1434.
- ECAC Hockey Pink at the Rink Release
report by Sam Rubin '95 (firstname.lastname@example.org), Yale Sports Publicity