Bulldogs Rack Up Winter Sports Awards from Yale Daily News
March 24, 2005
New Haven, CT - The women's hockey team's record-breaking season earned it several mentions in the Yale Daily News' Winter Sports Awards, published in the paper's Mar. 24 edition. Head coach Hilary Witt was named Best Coach, freshman defenseman Helen Resor was named Best Newcomer, and the 4-3 overtime win over Princeton in game one of the ECACHL semifinals was named Best Game. Yale was also honorable mention as best team, an award which went to the national champion women's squash squad, and have several honorable mention awardees.
The paper noted that the 27-year old Witt "brings a first-hand hockey knowledge that demands respect from her players and opposing teams alike." She led the Bulldogs to a school-record 16 overall wins and 12 conference wins, along with the school's first playoff victory.
Resor "made an immediate impact on the women's hockey team with her strong physical presence and sharp eye for the goal." She finished seventh on the team in points (7-11-18).
The complete awards list included:
- Best Coach: Hilary Witt
- Best Newcomer: Helen Resor
- Best Game: Women's hockey vs. Princeton, Mar. 4
- Runner-up Best Female Athlete: Sarah Love
- Honorable Mention Best Female Athlete: Erin Duggan
- Honorable Mention Best Team: Women's hockey
- Honorable Mention Best Game: Women's hockey vs. Harvard, Mar. 12
- Honorable Mention Best Game: Women's hockey vs. Harvard, Nov. 12
report by Sam Rubin '95, Yale Sports Publicity Department