Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

No. 14 New Hampshire Tops Yale 12-4

No. 14 New Hampshire Tops Yale 12-4

March 4, 2009

Box Score |  Photo Gallery 

DURHAM, N.H. - The second half has belonged to Yale in the first two games of the year, so when the Bulldogs found themselves trailing 5-2 at halftime at No. 14 New Hampshire the game still seemed within reach. But the Wildcats clamped down in the second half, allowing Yale only seven shots and two goals, to come away with a 12-4 win. Sarah Von Bargen scored four times for UNH, while senior midfielder Jenn Warden scored three of Yale's four goals.

Yale (1-2) had been outscored 7-0 in the first seven minutes of the first two games, but this time around the Bulldogs were able to keep their opponents off the scoreboard significantly longer. They were not, however, able to take the lead. The game was scoreless for nearly eight minutes until Susie Piotrkowski scored twice in a span of six seconds for UNH.

After Piotrkowski's second goal, sophomore attacker Myra Trivellas grabbed the draw control and the Bulldogs were able to take advantage. Warden drove in from the left side of the fan and put in her seventh goal of the year. Thirty seconds later, after sophomore midfielder Kaitlyn Flatley got the draw control, Warden buried a free position shot in the upper right corner to tie the score.

But New Hampshire (3-1) scored again 36 seconds after Warden's goal, an unassisted tally by Von Bargen. Wildcat goalie Nikki Hume made a pair of stops on shots by Warden and freshman attacker Kerry Hamill with 10 minutes left in the half, and after the Wildcats extended their lead to 4-2 on a free position goal by Hayley Rausch with 8:11 left the Bulldogs called timeout. There was only one goal scored the rest of the half, by Von Bargen off a nice feed from Piotrkowski.

Yale had outscored its first two opponents 12-6 in the second half, and when Warden scored again 3:42 into the second it seemed the Bulldogs were on their way to a comeback. Michaela Hardy pushed UNH's lead back to three two minutes later, but junior attacker Jenna Block scored with 22:58 to play to get Yale back within two, 6-4.

But that would be the last Yale goal of the day, as the Bulldogs were plagued by 13 second-half turnovers and outshot 16-7 in the half. New Hampshire also won seven of 10 draw controls in that frame and held Yale to a 5-for-11 performance on clears.

The Wildcats started pulling away with a pair of goals by Rausch and one by Hardy in a span of four minutes midway through the half. Freshman goalie Whitney Quackenbush came up with a big save on Von Bargen with 12:30 left in the game, and when Yale went on the attack with 11 minutes left the Bulldogs called timeout. They had a lengthy possession after the break but eventually lost the ball out of bounds.

Right after that the teams traded turnovers in the midfield and New Hampshire eventually got a goal from Von Bargen to make it 10-4 with nine minutes remaining. Shortly afterwards freshman attacker Winnie Call came in for the first varsity action of her career. The game also marked the return of sophomore midfielder Logan Greer, who finished her squash season last weekend by advancing to the semifinals of the CSA Individual Championship and was immediately inserted in the lacrosse team's starting lineup Wednesday.

Von Bargen tacked on one more, giving her 17 for the year, and Shaunna Kaplan's goal with 1:16 to play made the final 12-4. Quackenbush made a nice save on Hardy with 30 seconds to play to finish with nine saves, but Hume denied junior midfielder Sarah David as the final seconds ticked off to finish with 10 stops.

Yale plays at Stony Brook Saturday at 2:00 p.m.

Report by Sam Rubin '95 (, Yale Sports Publicity