WEYMOUTH, Mass. - No. 48 Yale opened its season with a 5-2 victory over Boston College Saturday in Weymouth, Mass. The Bulldogs won the doulbes point in the victory.
Yale won two of three doubles matches to secure the doubles point. At No. 2 doubles, the duo of sophomore Stephanie Kent and senior Jessica Rhee pulled out a 9-8 victory over Katharine Attwell and Jacquelline Mabatah. The doubles team of junior Stevi Petrelli and senior Sarah Lederhandler rolled to an 8-2 win over sophomore Katarina Gajic and freshman Ina Kauppila.
The Bulldogs won four of six singles matches in the win. Playing No. 1 singles, sophomore Vicky Brook cruised to a 6-1, 6-1 win over Attwell. Petrelli won 6-2, 7-6 (7) over Gajic at No. 4 singles. At the No. 5 singles slot, junior Lindsay Clark won 6-1, 6-1 over Kauppila. Lederhandler defeated Mabatah 6-1, 6-4 at No. 6 singles.
Yale faces No. 61 Boston University Sunday.
1. Khmylev (B) def. Kent (Y), 7-6, 6-4
2. Kelleher (B) def. Rhee (Y), 6-0, 6-4
3. Brook (Y) def. Attwell (B), 6-1, 6-1
4. Petrelli (Y) def. Gajic (B), 6-2, 7-6 (7)
5. Clark (Y) def. Kauppila (B), 6-1, 6-1
6. Lederhandler (Y) def. Mabatah (B), 6-1, 6-4
1. Khmylev / Kelleher (B) def. Brook / Clark (Y), 8-5
2. Kent / Rhee def. Attwell / Mabatah, 9-8 (3)
3. Petrelli / Lederhandler (Y) def. Gajic / Kauppila (B), 8-2
Report Filed by Steven Horn '10, Yale Sports Publicity