No. 48 Bulldogs Defeat No. 61 Boston University 5-2
BOSTON, Mass. – The No. 48 Bulldogs completed a weekend sweep to improve to 2-0 on the season with a 5-2 victory over No. 61 Boston University Sunday in Boston, Mass. Yale won all three doubles matches to win the doubles point in the victory.
Playing No. 1 doubles, sophomore Vicky Brook and junior Lindsay Clark teamed up to defeat Francine Whu and Monika Mical 8-4. The doubles team of sophomore Stephanie Kent and senior Jessica Rhee pulled out an 8-7 (6) win over Stefanie Nunic and Petra Santini at No. 2 doubles. At the No. 3 doubles slot, the duo of junior Stevi Petrelli and senior Sarah Lederhandler rolled to an 8-2 win over Jessica Linero and Inayat Khosla.
Petrelli cruised to a 6-1, 6-3 victory over Santini at No. 4 singles. Playing No. 6 singles, Lederhandler triumphed 6-2, 6-2 over Khosla. Kent won her match at No. 1 singles as her opponent retired in the second set. At No. 3 singles, Brook won in similar fashion as her opponent retired in the first set.
The Bulldogs will travel to face the No. 1 team in the country next Saturday when they face off against defending national champion Duke. Yale will then either face Wake Forest or VCU depending on the results of its first match.
1. Kent (Y) def. Nunic (B), 6-1, 0-1 (ret.)
2. Whu (B) def. Rhee (Y), 6-4, 1-6, 10-6
3. Brook (Y) def. Linero (B) 3-0 (ret.)
4. Petrelli (Y) def. Santini (B), 6-1, 6-3
5. Mical (B) def. Clark (Y), 2-6, 6-3, 10-5
6. Lederhandler (Y) def. Khosla (B), 6-2, 6-2
1. Brook / Clark (Y) def. Whu / Mical (B), 8-4
2. Kent / Rhee (Y) def. Nunic / Santini (B), 8-7 (6)
3. Petrelli / Lederhandler (Y) def. Linero / Khosla (B), 8-2
Report Filed by Steven Horn
’10, Yale Sports Publicity