No. 31 Yale Defeats Western Michigan 6-1
NEW HAVEN, Conn. - No. 31 Yale improved to 10-2 on the season with a 6-1 victory over Western Michigan Sunday at the Cullman-Heyman Tennis Center. The Bulldogs won five of six singles matches and the doubles point in the victory.
At No. 1 doubles, the duo of sophomore Vicky Brook and sophomore Stephanie Kent defeated Amanda Moccia and April Kerr 8-4. Freshman Elizabeth Epstein and junior Lindsay Clark won 8-3 over Emily Dudzik and Maggie Remynse at No. 3 doubles.
Playing No. 1 singles, Kent rolled to a 6-2, 6-0 win over Dudzik. Brook cruised to a 6-2, 6-3 victory over Remynse at No. 2 singles. At the No. 3 singles slot, senior Jessica Rhee won in straight sets 6-3, 6-0 over Moccia. Epstein defeated Maria Nivia 6-0, 6-3 at the No. 5 singles slot. Playing No. 6 singles, senior Sarah Lederhandler triumphed over Rachel Denny in straight sets 6-0, 6-1.
Yale will be back in action Tuesday when they take on No. 20 South Florida in Tampa, Fla.
1. Stephanie Kent (Y) def. Emily Dudzik (WM), 6-2, 6-0
2. Vicky Brook (Y) def. Maggie Remynse (WM), 6-2, 6-3
3. Jessica Rhee (Y) def. Amanda Moccia (WM), 6-3, 6-0
4. Yumi Matsuto (W) def. Stevi Petrelli (Y), 3-6, 7-6(4), 10-7
5. Elizabeth Epstein (Y) def. Maria Nivia (WM), 6-0, 6-3
6. Sarah Lederhandler (Y) def. Rachel Denny (WM), 6-0, 6-1
1. No. 42 Brook / Kent (Y) def. Moccia / Kerr (WM), 8-4
2. Matsuto / Pastunink (WM) def. Rhee / Petrelli (Y), 8-4
3. Epstein / Lindsay Clark (Y) def. Duzik / Remynse (WM), 8-3
Report Filed by Steven Horn '10, Yale Sports Publicity