No. 46 Yale Defeats Columbia 6-1
NEW YORK, N.Y. – No. 46 Yale improved to 14-5 on the season and 3-1 in the Ivy League with a 6-1 victory over Columbia Saturday at Columbia University.
The Bulldogs won all three doubles matches to claim the doubles point in the victory. At No. 1 doubles, the doubles team of sophomore Vicky Brook and junior Lindsay Clark won 8-0. Senior Jessica Rhee and sophomore Stephanie Kent rolled to an 8-2 win at No. 2 doubles. Playing No. 3 doubles, junior Stevi Petrelli and freshman Elizabeth Epstein cruised to an 8-1 victory.
Yale won five of six singles matches. At No. 1 singles, Brook won in straight sets 7-5, 6-0. Rhee rolled to a 6-1, 6-2 win at No. 3 singles. Epstein and Clark did not drop games and won each of their matches 6-0, 6-0 at No. 5 and No. 6 singles, respectively. Playing No. 2 singles, Kent pulled out a 6-7 (4), 7-5, 10-3 win.
Yale’s three remaining matches all come against ranked opponents. Friday, the Bulldogs travel to Hanover to take on No. 48 Dartmouth. Yale then will host No. 53 Harvard and No. 65 Brown Sunday and the following Saturday, respectively.
1. Vicky Brook (Y) def.
Natasha Makarova (C), 7-5, 6-0
2. Stephanie Kent (Y) def. Chelsea Davis (C), 6-7(4), 7-5, 10-3
3. Jessie Rhee (Y) def. Katarina Kovacevic (C), 6-1, 6-2
4. Eliza Matache (C) def. Stevi Petrelli (Y), 6-4, 7-6(4)
5. Elizabeth Epstein (Y) def. Diana Shapoval (C), 6-0,6-0
6. Lindsay Clark (Y) def. Natalia Christenson (C), 6-0, 6-0
1. Brook/Clark (Y) def.
Donovan/Davis (C), 8-0
2. Rhee/Kent (Y) def. Makarova/Kovacevic (C), 8-2
3. Petrelli/Epstein (Y) def. Mataches/Christenson (C), 8-1
Report Filed by Steven Horn ’10, Yale Sports Publicity