NEW HAVEN, Conn. – No. 48 Yale improved to 16-6 overall and 5-2 in the Ivy League with a 5-2 victory over No. 58 Brown Saturday in its regular season finale at Yale University on senior day. The win kept the Bulldogs in contention for an at-large bid in the NCAA Tournament when the bracket is announced Tuesday, May 4.
The Bulldogs won the doubles point with victories at No. 2 and No. 3 doubles. At No. 2 doubles, the doubles team of senior Jessica Rhee and sophomore Stephanie Kent rolled to an 8-1 win over Julie Flanzer and Misia Krasowski. The duo of junior Stevi Petrelli and freshman Elizabeth Epstein cruised to an 8-1 victory over Emily Ellis and Kathrin Sorokko at No. 3 doubles.
Senior captain Sarah Lederhandler made her senior day count with a straight set 6-1, 6-4 win over Ellis at No. 6 singles. Junior Lindsay Clark also won in straight sets with a 6-1, 6-1 victory over Catherine Stewart.
The win over Brown did not come easy for Yale, however. The Bulldogs needed to win three-set matches at both No. 2 and No. 3 singles. At No. 3 singles, Epstein pulled out a 7-6 (4), 3-6, 6-3 win over Krasowski. Rhee, a senior four year starter for the Bulldogs, made her senior day special as well as she battled to a 6-0, 5-7, 6-4 win over Cassandra Herzberg at the No. 2 singles slot.
With the regular season now over, the Bulldogs will have to wait until May 4 to see if they earn an at-large bid to the NCAA Tournament. Princeton earned the automatic bid from the Ivy League by winning the conference for the second straight year. No. 45 Harvard will also be looking for an at-large bid from the Ivy League.
1. Bianca Aboubakare (B) def. Stephanie Kent (Y), 6-4,6-1
2. Jessica Rhee (Y) def. Cassandra Herzberg (B) 6-0,5-7,6-4
3. Elizabeth Epstein (Y) def. Misia Krasowski (B), 7-6(4),3-6,6-3
4. Julie Flanzer (B) def. Stevi Petrelli (Y), 6-0,6-1
5. Lindsay Clark (Y) def. Catherine Stewart (B), 6-1,6-1
6. Sarah Lederhandler (Y) def. Emily Ellis (B), 6-1,6-4
1. Herzberg / Aboubakare (B) def. Vicky Brook / Clark (Y),
2. Rhee / Kent (Y) def. Flanzer / Krasowski (B), 8-1
3. Petrelli / Epstein (Y) def. Ellis / Sorokko (B), 8-1
Report Filed by Steven Horn '10, Yale Sports Publicity