SYRACUSE, NY – Sunday, the No. 25 Yale women's tennis team fell 4-3 at the hands of unranked Syracuse.
The match began in the way that Yale has become accustomed to, with the team's ninth consecutive victory in doubles. At No. 1, the No. 27 ranked pairing of senior Vicky Brook and freshman Hanna Yu lost 8-3 to Syracuse's Emily Harman and Alessondra Parra. At third doubles, though, No. 41 ranked senior captain Steph Kent and sophomore Blair Seideman topped Komal Safdar and Jimena Wu 8-4 to even the score. With the first point of the match on the line, No. 37 ranked junior Elizabeth Epstein and sophomore Annie Sullivan stepped up and knocked off Aleah Marrow and Maddie Kobelt 8-5 to put the Bulldogs up 1-0.
In singles play, Yu played at No. 2 for the first time. The freshman earned the new spot, winning 7-5, 6-2 over Kobelt to put Yale up 2-0. In the fourth spot, Syracuse's Amanda Rogers ended Kent's ten match winning streak with a 6-2, 6-3 victory. Next, Epstein fell at No. 1 to Harman 6-1, 7-5, evening the match score at 2-2. Seideman, playing at No. 3, put Yale back in the lead with a strong performance against Breanna Bachini, winning 6-2, 6-3. At No. 5, Sullivan and Parra played a tight match, but Parra ultimately came out on top with a 6-3, 7-6 (7-4) win. That evened the score at 3-3, with the only match left at No. 6, between Marrow and freshman Amber Li. Marrow took the first set 7-5, but Yale bounced back in the second 6-4. In the third set Marrow went up 3-1 early, but Li bounced back to take a 4-3 lead. Marrow took the next two games, and then the players traded games until a tiebreaker was needed at 6-6. Marrow proved too much for Yale, winning 7-2 to take the match for Syracuse.
1. Emily Harman (SU) def. Elizabeth Epstein (YA) 6-1, 7-5
2. Hanna Yu (YA) def. Maddie Kobelt (SU) 7-5, 6-2
3. Blair Seideman (YA) def. Breanna Bachini (SU) 6-2, 6-3
4. Amanda Rogers (SU) def. Steph Kent (YA) 6-2, 6-3
5. Alessondra Parra (SU) def. Annie Sullivan (YA) 6-3, 7-6 (7-4)
6. Aleah Marrow (SU) def. Amber Li (YA) 7-5, 4-6, 7-6 (7-2)
1. Emily Harman/Alessondra Parra (SU) def. #27 Hanna Yu/Vicky Brook (YA) 8-3
2. #37 Elizabeth Epstein/Annie Sullivan (YA) def. Aleah Marrow/Maddie Kobelt (SU) 8-5
3. #41 Blair Seideman/Steph Kent (YA) def. Komal Safdar/Jimena Wu (SU) 8-4