Yale Closes Out Bulldog Invitational
Sherry Li Wins at No. 1
NEW HAVEN, Conn. — Sunday the Yale women's tennis team played its final matches of the Bulldog Invitational, going 3-1 at doubles against Dartmouth and 5-3 at singles against Boston College.
In the morning against Dartmouth, sophomore Ree Ree Li and freshman Sherry Li combined at No. 1 for an 8-6 win against Taylor Ng and Katherine Yau. At No. 2, sophomore Madeleine Hamilton and senior captain Annie Sullivan earned a quick 8-3 decision over Julienne Keong Si Ying and Melissa Matsuoka. Playing with junior Amber Li, sophomore Courtney Amos continued her success at doubles, sneaking by Sarah Bessen and Narni Summerall at No. 4 8-6.
The afternoon brought more success for the Bulldogs. Sherry Li's performance was a particular highlight; the freshman out of Parkland, Fla. went three sets at No. 1 before recording a big win over Boston College's Jessica Wacnik. Li won the first set with ease, but dropped the second as play moved from the outdoor courts into the Cullman-Heyman Tennis Center due to rain. After adjusting to the new setting —the "first indoor match in years" for the Floridian —Li put on a definitive performance in the third set, sealing the deal with a final score of 6-2, 1-6, 6-1.
"It was a great experience playing in my first college tournament…starting off my college career strong is a big confidence booster," Li said Sunday.
Veterans rounded out the top of the lineup, with Hamilton coming out ahead at No. 2 and Sullivan winning 7-5, 6-1 at No. 3.
The Bulldogs are back in action Oct. 18-22 at the ITA Northeast Regionals in Cambridge, Mass.
Report by Joe Giammittorio '15, Yale Sports Publicity
Yale v. Boston College
- Sherry Li (Yale) def. Jessica Wacnik (BC) 6-2, 1-6, 6-1
- Madeleine Hamilton (Yale) def. Lexi Borr (BC) 6-3, 6-1
- Annie Sullivan (Yale) def. Katya Vasilyev (BC) 7-5, 6-1
- Jenny Ren (BC) def. Ree Ree Li (Yale) 5-7, 6-4, 6-4
- Hanna Yu (Yale) def. Emily Safron (BC) 6-4, 6-0
- Heini Salonen (BC) def. Caroline Lynch (Yale) 6-1, 6-4
- Wan-Yi Sweeting (BC) def. Amber Li (Yale) 7-5, 7-5
- Courtney Amos (Yale) def. Sarah Dalton (BC) 6-3, 6-2
Yale v. Dartmouth
- R. Li/S. Li (Yale) def. Yau/Ng (Dartmouth) 8-6
- Sullivan/Hamilton (Yale) def. Keong/Matsuoka (Dartmouth) 8-3
- Crawford/Tan (Dartmouth) def. Yu/Lynch (Yale) 8-2
- Amos/ A. Li (Yale) def. Bessen/Summerall (Dartmouth) 8-6