No. 32 Bulldogs Fall to No. 51 Columbia in ECAC Indoor Championship Finals
NEW YORK —Sunday at the ECAC Indoor Championships the No. 32-ranked Yale women's tennis team came up short of a fifth consecutive title. The Bulldogs reached the tournament finals but fell to host No. 51 Columbia 4-1.
Columbia got off to an early lead by claiming the doubles point. The Lions won at Nos. 1 and 2, while sophomore Courtney Amos and senior captain Annie Sullivan got the Bulldogs' sole doubles win at No. 3.
Moving onto singles, it was junior Hanna Yu who earned Yale's only point at No. 5. Sophomore Madeleine Hamilton took her opponent, the No. 75-ranked Kanika Vaidya, to a tiebreaker in the first set but ultimately came up short. Sullivan and sophomore Ree Ree Li were still in contention at Nos. 2 and 4, respectively, when their matches were called early.
Yale will play its first home match of the season Sunday, Feb. 16 against Boston University.
1. No 24 BIanca Sanon/ Kanika Vaidya (COL) def. Madeleine Hamilton/ Ree Ree Li (YALE) 6-2
2. No. 20 Crystal Leung/Tina Jiang (COL) def. Hanna Yu/ Sherry Li (YALE) 7-6 (8-6)
3. Courtney Amos/ Annie Sullivan (YALE) def. Tiana Takenaga/ Ioana Alecsiu (COL) 6-1
1. No. 75 Kanika Vaidya (COL) def. Madeleine Hamilton (YALE) 7-6 (7-0*), 6-0
2. Bianca Sanon (COL) vs. Annie Sullivan (YALE) 7-6 (7-4*), 5-6, unfinished
3. Tina Jiang (COL) def. Sherry Li (YALE) 6-4, 6-4
4. Crystal Leung (COL) vs. Ree Ree Li (YALE) 5-7, 2-1, unfinished
5. Hanna Yu (YALE) def. Tiana Takenaga (COL) 6-3, 6-2
6. Ioana Alecsiu (COL) def. Courtney Amos (YALE) 6-4, 6-4
Report by Joe Giammittorio '15, Yale Sports Publicity