No. 24 Texas Thwarts Upset by No. 50 Yale, 5-2
Yu Posts Wins in Singles and Doubles
AUSTIN, Texas – In the first of three spring break matches out West, the Yale women's tennis team took on No. 24 Texas on Sunday. Playing at the Longhorns' Penick-Allison Tennis Center, the Bulldogs got off to an auspicious start in doubles before Texas took control in singles. The Longhorns notched five singles victories to record the 5-2 win and deny the Bulldogs a blazing start to their spring break campaign.
Though Sunday's encounter against Texas was Yale's first match in two weeks, the Bulldogs showed little rust from the outset, as they quickly clinched the doubles point. The Bulldog tandem of freshman Sherry Li and junior Hanna Yu led the way with an 8-4 win over the Texas team of Juliana Gajic and Pippa Horn. At No. 1 doubles, the nation's No. 55 duo of sophomore Madeleine Hamilton and classmate Ree Ree Li backed up their teammates with a competitive 8-7(4) victory over Elizabeth Begley and Neda Koprcina.
Despite the strong start, the Bulldogs were unable to see the upset through to its completion. With No. 76 Ratnika Batra and No. 106 Begley on their roster, the Longhorns proved too strong in singles, reeling off four consecutive straight-set wins. The Bulldogs did not go away quietly, however. Yu provided a bright spot for Yale when she closed out the day with a 2-6, 6-1, 6-3 comeback victory of her own against Lana Groevynck, giving her team its lone singles win of the match. In addition, the clash at No. 2 singles, which pitted senior captain Annie Sullivan against Koprcina, was a high-quality tussle, with Koprcina prevailing in three hard-fought sets by the thinnest of margins.
Sunday's match against Texas was the first of a trio of away matches on Yale's schedule during spring break. The Bulldogs will now continue westward to Tempe, Ariz., where they will engage in a two-day doubleheader against Arizona State and Brigham Young. The Arizona State match is set for Thursday, Mar. 13, and the Brigham Young match will take place on the following day.
Report by Robert Batista '15, Yale Sports Publicity
Doubles – Order of Finish: 2, 1
1) No. 55 Madeleine Hamilton/Ree Ree Li (Yale) def. Elizabeth Begley/Nada Koprcina (UT), 8-7 (4)
2) Sherry Li/Hanna Yu (Yale) def. Juliana Gajic/Pippa Horn (UT), 8-4
3) Ratnika Batra/Lana Groenvynck (UT) vs. Amber Li/Annie Sullivan (Yale) – DNF
Singles – Order of Finish: 4, 1, 6, 3, 2, 5
1) No. 106 Elizabeth Begley (UT) def. Madeleine Hamilton (Yale), 6-3, 6-2
2) Neda Koprcina (UT) def. Annie Sullivan (Yale), 3-6, 7-6 (6), 1-0 (10-8)
3) No. 76 Ratnika Batra (UT) def. Ree Ree Li (Yale), 6-0, 7-6 (3)
4) Pippa Horn (UT) def. Sherry Li (Yale), 6-1, 6-2
5) Hanna Yu (Yale) def. Lana Groenvynck (UT), 2-6, 6-1, 6-3
6) Juliana Gajic (UT) def. Amber Li (Yale), 6-2, 6-2