No. 59 Bulldogs Upset No. 33 Columbia
NEW YORK —Sunday the No. 59-ranked Yale women's tennis team (11-8, 3-1 Ivy) extended its win streak to three with a 5-2 upset over No. 33 Columbia. The Bulldogs lost the doubles point but followed up with wins in five of six singles matches.
Junior Hanna Yu, who made her debut at No. 1 with a win against Cornell on Saturday, continued her strong play Sunday, defeating the nation's No. 80 player Kanika Vaidya by a score of 6-4, 6-4. While sophomore Madeleine Hamilton took a hard loss at No. 2 to make the score 2-1 in favor of the Lions, the Bulldogs won out at the Nos. 3 to 6 positions to earn the win.
All four matches went to three sets; senior captain Annie Sullivan was the first to finish, tying things up with a win at No. 3. Freshman Sherry Li gave the Bulldogs the lead, defeating Tiana Takenaga at No. 5, while sophomore Courtney Amos clinched the win at No. 6. Finally at No. 4, sophomore Ree Ree Li earned a point for good measure to make the score 5-2.
The Bulldogs now rank third in the Ivy League with three matches remaining. They will travel to Dartmouth Friday before hosting Harvard on Sunday.
No. 33 Columbia 2, No. 59 Yale 5
1. #22 Bianca Sanon/Kanika Vaidya (COL) vs. Madeleine Hamilton/Sherry Li (YALE) 8-2
2. #34 Tina Jiang/Crystal Leung (COL) vs. Ree Ree Li/Hanna Yu (YALE) 6-6, unfinished
3. Ioana Alecsiu/Tiana Takenaga (COL) vs. Courtney Amos/Annie Sullivan (YALE) 8-4
1. Hanna Yu (YALE) def. #80 Kanika Vaidya (COL) 6-4, 6-4
2. Tina Jiang (COL) def. Madeleine Hamilton (YALE) 6-2, 6-2
3. Annie Sullivan (YALE) def. Bianca Sanon (COL) 6-4, 1-6, 6-3
4. Ree Ree Li (YALE) def. Crystal Leung (COL) 2-6, 7-5, 6-4
5. Sherry Li (YALE) def. Tiana Takenaga (COL) 1-6, 6-2, 6-3
6. Courtney Amos (YALE) def. Ioana Alecsiu (COL) 2-6, 6-3, 6-2
Order of Finish
Doubles (1, 3) Singles (1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 4)
Report by Joe Giammittorio '15, Yale Sports Publicity