Bulldogs Close Tournament with Five Victories against BC
NEW HAVEN, Conn. – The final day of the Bulldog Invitational saw Yale compete against Boston College, marking the second time of the season that the two schools have met. Yale came away with five victories in its season opener against BC at the Harvard Fall Classic. In Sunday's match-up, Yale replicated that achievement with one doubles win and four singles wins.
At No. 4 doubles, senior Caroline Lynch teamed up with junior Sunday Swett to compete in a tight match against Elene Tsokilauri and Micayla Casella. While the match was neck and neck throughout most of the set, Lynch and Swett emerged victorious in the tiebreak to win the match 7-6(5).
Playing at No. 3 singles, sophomore Amy Yang achieved her second win against BC after overcoming Dasha Possokhova 6-3, 6-4. Junior Valerie Shklover also notched her second victory against BC to improve her fall record to 5-1. While Shklover fell behind after a 6-1 first set loss, she bounced back to defeat Kylie Wilcox 1-6, 6-2, 10-7 at No. 4 singles. Senior Sherry Li also came back from a first set loss in her 5-7, 6-2, 11-9 victory over Jackie Urbinait at No. 6 singles. In the No. 8 spot, sophomore Caroline Amos overcame Casella 7-6(1), 6-3 to avenge her loss against BC in the Harvard Fall Classic.
Full results from the day's play against BC may be found below.
The Bulldogs will next host the United States Tennis Association (USTA)/Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) Regional Championship, which will take place Oct. 20-24.
Report by Alice Yang '19, Yale Sports Publicity
1. No. 53 Asiya Dair (BC) d. Tina Jiang (Yale) 7-6(5), 6-4
2. No. 109 Lexi Borr (BC) d. Elizabeth Zordani (Yale) 6-2, 6-3
3. Amy Yang (Yale) d. Dasha Possokhova (BC) 6-3, 6-4
4. Valerie Shklover (Yale) d. Kylie Wilcox (BC) 1-6, 6-2, 10-7
5. Emily Safron (BC) d. Opala Dhingra (Yale) 6-4, 6-1
6. Sherry Li (Yale) d. Jackie Urbinait (BC) 5-7, 6-2, 11-9
7. Elene Tsokilauri (BC) d. Caroline Lynch (Yale) 6-2, 6-2
8. Caroline Amos (Yale) d. Micayla Casella (BC) 7-6(1), 6-3