NEW HAVEN, Conn.- The Yale women's tennis team was able to win its second consecutive match, cruising to 5-2 victory over Rutgers earlier on Saturday.
Samantha Martinelli and Elizabeth Zordani started things off with a 6-4 victory in singles, before Caroline Amos and Lauren Gillinov sealed the doubles point with a 6-3 win in the No. 3 match. Valerie Shklover and Amy Yang were up 5-4 in their match before ending unfinished.
Martinelli continued her strong afternoon with a stellar 6-1, 6-2 victory over Rutgers' No. 1, senior Chloe Lee. Skhlover and Yang both picked up straights sets wins as well, with Yang dropping just three games en route to victory. Zordani came out on top in a three-set thriller, winning 10-6 in a super tiebreak after her and her opponent exchanged single-break wins in the first two sets. Sarah Cameron, playing in an exhibition, also went the distance and won 10-7 in the third set super-breaker despite dropping the second set 6-0. Amos and Sunday Swett both lost in straight sets, but certainly kept their matches competitive.
The Bulldogs extend their overall record to 5-7 and their record in New Haven is now an unblemished 4-0. They return to action on 3/16 at William & Mary. Full results are available below.
FULL MATCH RESULTS – Yale 5, Rutgers 2
- Martinlli/Zordani (Y) def. Du/Muzik (R) 6-4
- Skhlover/Yang (Y) v. Cochrane/Jacobs (D) DNF 5-4
- Amos/Gillinov (Y) def. Lee/Da Silva (Y) 6-3
- Martinelli (Y) def. Lee (R) 6-1, 6-2
- Shklover (Y) def. Du (R) 6-4, 6-3
- Yang (Y) def. Muzik (R) 6-1, 6-2
- Zordani (Y) def. Cochrane (R) 4-6, 6-4, 10-6
- Jacobs (R) def. Amos (Y) 6-2, 6-4
- Da Silva (R) def. Swett (Y) 7-6(8), 6-2
- Cameron (Y) def. Levy (R) 6-4, 0-6, 10-7