ORLANDO, FL. - Faced with a tough Clemson team, the Yale women's tennis team fell to 5-9 as they were unable to come away with the victory. The Bulldogs fell to 4-0, dropping the middle of three spring break matches on their schedule.
The Tigers pounced early on, taking the doubles point after winning the No. 2 and No. 3 doubles matches, both by a score of 6-2. Samantha Martinelli and Elizabeth Zordani were winning by a break, 5-3, before their match ended prematurely.
Yale looked to turn the tide in singles, but was unable to do so; Sarah Cameron, Sunday Swett, and Amy Yang all fell in straight sets to give Clemson the 4-0 victory. At the time, Valerie Skhlover was one game away from leveling her match at one set apiece, while Zordani was up a set on her opponent in the No. 3 matchup. Caroline Amos was also in a tight third set before Clemson sealed the victory, which left the final three matches unfinished.
The Bulldogs will look to rebound against No. 25 UCF tomorrow at 5:00 PM in what is their final non-conference road match of the season.
FULL MATCH RESULTS – Clemson 4, Yale 0
- Martinelli/Zordani (Y) v. Ledue/Navarro (C) DNF 5-3
- Miller/Schroeder (C). def. Gillinov/Shklover (Y) 6-2
- Morti/Ruiz (C) def. Amos/Young (Y) 6-2
- Shklover (Y) v. Schroeder (C) DNF 2-6, 5-4
- Navarro (C) def. Yang (Y) 6-1, 7-5
- Zordani (Y) v. Riley (Y) DNF 6-4, 2-4
- Amos (Y) v. Miller (C) DNF 6-1, 4-6, 1-2
- Morit (C) def. Swett (Y) 6-0, 6-1
- Ruiz (C) def. Cameron (Y) 6-3, 6-2