ORLANDO, FL- The Bulldogs wrapped up their spring break road trip with a competitive loss to the University of Central Florida (13-2), falling 5-2 to the No. 25 team in the country.
Yale then showed some fight in singles, alternating wins with the Knights. After Valerie Skhlover went down in straight sets, Martinelli put the Bulldogs back on track with a straights sets win over Ksenia Kuznetsova, who had previously beaten her in doubles. Sunday Swett went down in straight sets before Zordani won a roller coaster match. After dominating the first set 6-0, the senior showed resilience and composure in a tight second set that she won in a tiebreak 9-7. Amy Yang went down in straights to No. 122 Rebecca Stolmar to give UCF the victory. The best match of the day was the last one, however, with Caroline Amos losing in a third set super tiebreak 10-6 after gritting her way to a 9-7 win in the second set tiebreak.
The Bulldogs travel back home Friday before taking on the University of Massachusetts on Saturday in the final weekend of non-conference play.
FULL MATCH RESULTS – UCF 5, Yale 2
- Kuznetsova/Martinez (UCF) vs. Martinelli/Zordani (Y) DNF
- Stolmar/Bordes (UCF) def. Shklover/Gillinov (Y) 6-0
- Matias/Serrano (UCF) def. Amos/Yang (Y) 6-1
- Martinelli (Y) def. Kuznetsova (UCF) 6-4, 6-1
- Martinez (UCF) def. Shklover (Y) 6-1, 6-4
- Stolmar (UCF) def. Yang (Y) 6-2, 6-1
- Zordani (Y) def. Bordes (UCF) 6-0, 7-6 (9-7)
- Serrano (UCF) def. Amos (Y) 6-3, 6-7 (7-9), 10-6
- Granstrom (UCF) def. Swett (Y) 6-4, 6-1