NEW HAVEN, Conn.- The Yale women's tennis team found itself on the losing end of a tight 4-3 match, going the distance against the Minutewomen of Massachusetts.
The two teams exchanged single break victories to start doubles. Valerie Skhlover and Amy Yang took their match 6-4, while Samantha Martinelli and Elizabeth Zordani fell 6-3. In the deciding match, Lauren Gillinov and Sunday Swett fought hard, holding serve until 5-5. From there, UMass's No. 3 doubles team won two consecutive games to give their team the doubles point.
The Bulldogs looked to bounce back and win the match on the strength of their singles play. Martinelli kicked things off with a clean 6-4, 6-1 victory over Ruth Crawford, the Minutewomen's No. 1 player. Both Skhlover and Yang fell in straight sets, putting UMass one win away from victory. Zordani was dominant, losing three total games in a straight-sets victory in the No. 5 spot. Gillinov, playing singles for the first time all season, rebounded from a 6-2 loss in her first set, dominating the next two to win to tie the match at 3-3. All eyes were on Caroline Amos, but she fell in straights to Martina Bocchi to give UMass the victory. Swett lost in a third set super tie-break in an exhibition match that did not count.
Yale takes on Stony Brook in its final regular season non-conference match tomorrow at 11:00 a.m.
FULL MATCH RESULTS – UMASS 4, Yale 3
- Moreno/Yrazusta (UM) def. Martinelli/Zordani (Y) 6-3
- Skhlover/Yang (Y) def. Bocchi/Kovacevic (UM) 6-4
- Avery/Crawford (UM) def. Gillinov/Swett (Y) 7-5
- Martinelli (Y) def. Crawford (UM) 6-4, 6-1
- Yrazusta (UM) def. Yang (Y) 6-2, 6-1
- Kovacevic (UM) def. Skhlover (Y) 6-4, 6-2
- Gillinov (Y) def. Moreno (UM) 2-6, 6-2, 6-1
- Zordani (Y) def. Napadiy (UM) 6-0, 6-3
- Bocchi (UM) def. Amos (Y) 6-2, 6-2
- Bogicevic (UM) def. Swett (Y) 6-4, 1-6, 10-8 (EXHIBITION)