NEW HAVEN, Conn. - The Yale women's tennis team (6-15, 0-4 Ivy) was unable to overcome the No. 44 team in the country, falling earlier Saturday afternoon to the Princeton Tigers (16-3, 4-0 Ivy) by a score of 6-1.
Princeton seized the doubles point to start off the day, winning the No. 2 and No. 3 matchups by identical 6-2 scores. The No. 1 match, featuring Samantha Martinelli and Elizabeth Zordani against the No. 89 doubles team in the country, went unfinished after the Tigers won the first two matches.
Singles started and ended in favor of Princeton, with the Tigers winning the first four matches. Caroline Amos, Sarah Cameron, Lauren Gillinov, and Amy Yang all fell in straight sets, to give Princeton the lead and win at 5-0. Yang's match was close, losing both sets by a single break, 6-3, 6-4. Martinelli was able to come back from a first set loss to take the second set 6-3 before dominating the third set super tiebreak, 10-2, to put Yale on the board. Valerie Skhlover played in the final match of the day, falling in a thrilling two-setter, 7-6(6), 6-4.
The Bulldogs return tomorrow against Penn at 1:00 for their Senior Day and last home match of the season. Full results available below.
Report by Vig Namasivayam '20, Yale Sports Publicity
FULL MATCH RESULTS – Princeton 6, Yale 1
1. Martinell/Zordani (Y) vs. Kalhorn/Schrage (P) 3-4, DNF
2. McKee/Steffensen (P) def. Shklover/Yang (Y) 6-2
3. Goodwin/Rodilosso (P) def. Amos/Gillinov (Y), 6-2
1. Martinelli (Y) def. Steffensen (P) 5-7, 6-3, (10-2)
2. Schrage (P) def. Shklover (Y), 7-6(6), 6-4
3. Kalhorn (P) def. Yang (Y), 6-3, 6-4
4. McKee (P) def. Gillinov (Y), 6-2, 6-3
5. Pollner (P) def. Amos (Y), 6-2, 6-1
6. Rodilosso (P) def. Cameron (Y), 6-1, 6-1
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (5,6,4,3,1,2)