NEW HAVEN, Conn. - On the day they celebrated seniors Valerie Skhlover, Sunday Swett, and Elizabeth Zordani on wonderful Bulldog careers, the Yale Women's tennis team (6-16, 0-5 Ivy) was unable to pick up the victory against Penn (9-11, 2-3 Ivy).
Doubles ended up being a nailbiter, starting with the Bulldogs and Quakers splitting the first two matches 6-2. Samantha Martinelli and senior Zordani picked up a 6-2 victory, Zordani's last match in New Haven, to level the score after Caroline Amos and Lauren Gillinov fell 6-2. Skhlover, also playing in her last doubles match in New Haven, and partner Amy Yang were engaged in a tight match, needing a tiebreak to decide the doubles point; they fell 7-1, giving Penn the 1-0 lead on the afternoon.
Singles started with a swift Martinelli victory, dispatching her opponent in two sets and dropping only two games in total. Penn, however, was able to turn the tide and win the last four singles matches, all in straight sets. Amos had opportunities in both sets, but her opponent was too tough, winning 6-4, 7-5. Penn won the sixth singles match on default, putting their total on the afternoon at six victories to Yale's one.
The Bulldogs will look to end the season on a good note as they take a New York road trip to play Cornell on Saturday and Columbia on Sunday.
FULL MATCH RESULTS – Penn 6, Yale 1
1. Martinelli/Zordani (Yale) def. Zhu/Vaidya (Penn) 6-2
2. Kowalska/Curnic (Penn) def. Shklover/Yang (Yale) 7-6(1)
3. Singh/Rodriguez-Benito (Penn) def. Amos/Gillinov (Yale) 6-2
1. Martinelli (Yale) def. Qostal (Penn) 6-0, 6-2
2. Vaidya (Penn) def. Shklover (Yale) 6-3, 6-1
3. Kowalska (Penn) def. Yang (Yale) 6-3, 6-1
4. Zhu (Penn) def. Amos (Yale) 6-4, 7-5
5. Curnic (Penn) def. Cameron (Yale) 6-0, 6-0
6. Penn default
Order of Finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (6,1,5,3,2,4)