ITHACA, N.Y. - The Yale Women's Tennis team (6-17, 0-6 Ivy) fell 5-2 earlier on Saturday afternoon to the Cornell Big Red (7-12, 1-5 Ivy) in their second to last match of the season.
The Bulldogs were able to get off to a good start. Valerie Shklover and Amy Yang kicked things off with a 6-3 in doubles, putting the team in good position to steal the doubles point. Samantha Martinelli and Elizabeth Zordani fell in a tight match 6-4 to level things at 1-1. This put the pressure on Caroline Amos and Sunday Swett-- a team that has not played together a whole lot this season-- who delivered in the clutch and won their set in a 7-3 tiebreak. As a result, the Bulldogs gave themselves the early 1-0 lead on the afternoon.
Despite the early deficit, the Big Red was dominant in singles. They took the first three singles matches in straight sets, beating Cameron, Amos, and Shklover in the process. Martinelli's match was a bit tighter, but Cornell's captain Priyanka Shah toughed it out 6-3, 7-5 to give the Big Red the 4-1 lead and de facto victory. Regardless of the loss, Zordani kept fighting and got the Bulldogs on the board with a three set victory. After dropping the first set 6-0, she fought back in the second set with a close 7-5 win. The third set then went to a tiebreak at 2-2 as Cornell had already won, where Zordani dominated 7-1 to pick up a singles win. Yang also played a close match, dropping the third set super tiebreak 10-5. Cornell won five out of the six singles matches, giving them the 5-2 win.
The team travels to Columbia tomorrow for their final match of the 2017-2018 season. Play begins at 12:30 p.m.
Report by Vig Namasivayam '20, Yale Sports Publicity
Full Results: Cornell 5, Yale 2
1. Shah (Cornell) def. Martinelli (Yale) , 6-3, 7-5
2. Dua (Cornell) def. Shklover (Yale), 6-1, 6-2
3. Iinuma (Cornell) def. Yang (Yale), 4-6, 6-2, (10-5)
4. Zordani (Yale) def. Stevens (Cornell), 0-6, 7-5, 2-2(1)
5. Wang (Cornell) def. Amos (Yale), 6-1, 6-3
6. Elhom (Cornell) def. Cameron (Yale), 6-4, 6-0
1. Dua/Shah (Cornell) def. Martinelli/Zordani (Yale), 6-4
2. Shklover/Yang (Yale) def. Iinuma/Wang (Cornell), 6-3
3. Amos/Swett (Yale) def. Elhom/Stevens (Cornell), 7-6(3)
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3), Singles (2,6,5,1,4,3)