NEW HAVEN, Conn.- The Yale women's tennis team started off their 2018-2019 season with a strong showing against the Boston University Terriers earlier Friday afternoon, winning nine of the twelve singles and doubles matches. Almost every player for the Bulldogs had the opportunity to play, with each emerging victorious in either singles or doubles.
Samantha Martinelli picked things up from where she left off last season, winning in two sets with relative ease to kick off singles. Captain Amy Yang and sophomore Lauren Gillinov both came out on the winning side of their straight set matches as well. All three first-years were outstanding during singles play, with Jessie Gong winning her match 6-2, 6-0 and Raissa Lou winning hers by a score of 6-3, 6-2. Kathy Wang continued that trend of excellence with a dominating 6-1, 6-0 victory.
Doubles play was equally excellent for the Bulldogs. Sophomore transfer Caroline Dunleavy and Gong won their match 6-4, while another sophomore-first year pairing in Lou and Martinelli won theirs 6-1. Gillinov and fellow sophomore Sarah Cameron wrapped up doubles play with a 6-3 victory.
All in all, it was an excellent team showing for the Bulldogs and a fantastic way to start the fall season. The team will look to maintain the momentum going into their match against the Massachusetts Minutewomen tomorrow at 10:00 a.m.
Full results available below. Note regarding scoring: Results are individual rather than team as the match was not played under dual match rules.
- Martinelli (Y) def. Ramos (BU) 6-0, 6-3
- Yaloz (BU) def. Dunleavy (Y) 6-4, 6-2
- Gong (Y) def. Kim (BU) 6-2, 6-0
- Lou (Y) def. Martens (BU) 6-3, 6-2
- Yang (Y) def. Blaser (BU) 6-2, 6-2
- Gillinov (Y) def. Falya (BU) 6-2, 6-3
- Wang (Y) def O'Fagan (BU) 6-1, 6-0
- Faybyshev (BU) def Cameron (Y) 6-1
- Dunleavy/Gong (Y) def. Ramos/Yaloz (BU) 6-4
- Lou/Martinelli (Y) def. Blaser/Kim (BU) 6-1
- Falya/Faybyshev (BU) def. Wang/King (Y) 7-5
- Cameron/Gillinov (Y) def. Martens/O'Fagan (BU) 6-3