NEW HAVEN, Conn.- The Yale women's tennis team continued their successful weekend on Saturday, winning eight matches while losing just four against the Massachusetts Minutewomen on Day 2 of the Bulldog Invitational.
The Bulldogs were wonderful in singles for the second consecutive day. Samantha Martinelli cruised out of the No. 1 spot, followed by fellow sophomore Caroline Dunleavy, who also won in straight sets. First-year Raissa Lou only dropped one game in her victory, while sophomores Lauren Gillinov and Sarah Cameron also won in straights. Kathy Wang mounted an epic comeback, winning her match in three after dropping the first set 6-4. Jessie Gong fell in a tight three setter, but showed fight in the loss nonetheless.
The teams split the doubles matches, with Massachusetts' No. 1 team beating Dunleavy and Gong 6-1. Lou and Martinelli bounced back with a 6-2 victory, followed by Gillinov and Yang's 6-3 win. Cameron and Wang dropped a tight 7-5 set to drop their match out of the No. 4 spot.
Yale has had an excellent Bulldog Invitational and looks perfectly set up for success this season. Tomorrow they take on their first Ivy League opponent when they face Brown at noon.
Full results available below. Note regarding scoring: Results are individual rather than team as the match was not played under dual match rules.
- Martinelli (Y) def. Kovacevic (UM) 6-3, 6-3
- Dunleavy (Y) def. Crawford (UM) 6-2, 6-1
- Lawrence Taylor (UM) def. Gong (Y) 6-4, 3-6, 6-3
- Lou (Y) def. Boechi (UM) 6-1, 6-0
- Nadadly (UM) def. Yang (Y) 6-3, 6-3
- Gillinov (Y) def. Tripathy (UM) 6-2, 6-2
- Wang (Y) def Bogicevic (UM) 4-6, 6-1, 6-3
- Cameron (Y) def Avery (UM) 6-2, 6-2
- Lawrence Taylor/Kovacevic (UM) def. Dunleavy/Gong (Y) 6-1
- Lou/Martinelli (Y) def. Bocchi/Crawford (UM) 6-2
- Gillinov/Yang (Y) def. Avery/Bogicevic (UM) 6-3
- Nadadly/Tripathy (BU) def. Cameron/Wang (Y) 7-5