No. 11 Duke Overwhelms Yale 6-1
Feb. 11, 2007
Durham, NC - Yale (1-4) dropped their second straight match to a ranked opponent after falling to No. 11 Duke 6-1 today in Durham. Senior Christine Alford overcame a loss in the first set to defeat her opponent Jessie Robinson in three sets.
Alford recovered after losing the first set 2-6, to win the next set 6-4 and the final tiebreaker 10-8 against Robinson. The Bulldogs, who lost yesterday to No. 44 N.C. State, dropped every other singles and doubles match though and lost the match to Duke.
Head Coach Danielle Lund said that although the team lost, it was a good experience for the team.
"We lost today to Duke," Lund said. "They are a tough team. But it was actually a really good experience. We had a chance to win the doubles point. Even though the score was 6-1, they are the toughest team we'll play all season. I think we'll take a lot away from this one"
1. Daniela Bercek (D) def. Janet Kim (Y) 6-3, 6-4
2. Melissa Mang (D) def. Sarah Lederhandler (Y) 6-1, 6-0
3. Amanda Granson (D) def. Jessica Rhee (Y) 6-2, 6-1
4. Christine Alford (Y) def. Jessi Robinson (D) 2-6, 6-4, 10-8
5. Clelia Deltour (D) def. Olivia Nix (Y) 6-3, 6-0
6. Kristin Cargill (D) def. Lilian Nguyen (Y) 6-1 6-2
Report filed by Steven Horn '10, Yale Sports Publicity