Feb. 15, 2009
HANOVER, N.H. - The No. 63 Bulldogs improved to 6-1 with a 4-3 victory over No. 52 Princeton to win the ECAC Championships Sunday in Hanover. The win marked Yale's second victory this season over a ranked opponent.
By winning matches at No. 1 and No. 3 doubles, the Bulldogs won the doubles point. At the No. 1 doubles spot, senior Janet Kim and junior Jessica Rhee pulled out an 8-5 victory over Hilary Bartlett and Taylor Marable. Playing No. 3 doubles, junior Sarah Lederahndler and senior Lilian Nguyen defeated Blakely Ashley and Sarah Hoffman 8-6.
The deciding match for the Bulldogs was junior Jessica Rhee's victory at No. 2 singles. After dropping the first set 6-2 to Hilary Bartlett, Rhee bounced back to force a third set by winning the second set 6-4. Rhee won the third set in a tiebreaker to win the match 2-6, 6-4, 7-6 (4).
Yale will travel to Tennessee next weekend to take on two ranked opponents when they battle No. 16 Vanderbilt and No. 22 Tennessee. The match against Vanderbilt will be a homecoming of sorts for Yale assistant coach Amanda Fish, who was an ITA All-American at Vanderbilt.
1) Lauren McHale (P) def. Janet Kim (Y) 6-4, 4-6, 7-5
2) Jessica Rhee (Y) def. Hilary Bartlett (P) 2-6, 6-4, 7-6(4)
3) Vicky Brook (Y) def. Taylor Marable (P) 6-4, 6-3
4) Rachel Saiontz (P) def. Stevi Petrelli (Y) 3-6, 6-1, 6-3
5) Blakely Ashley (P) def. Sarah Lederhandler (Y) 6-4, 7-5
6) Lindsay Clark (Y) def. Rebecca Parks (P) 6-2, 6-1
1) Kim/Rhee (Y) def. Bartlett/Marable (P) 8-6
2) McHale/R. Saiontz (P) def. Brook/Petrelli (Y) 9-8(4)
3) Lilian Nguyen /Lederhandler (Y) def. Ashley/Sarah Hoffman (P) 8-6
Report Filed by Steven Horn '10, Yale Sports Publicity