No. 22 Tennessee Tops No. 51 Yale 6-1
Feb. 23, 2009
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. - No. 51 Yale lost its second straight match against a ranked opponent and fell to 6-3 Sunday after losing to No. 22 Tennessee Sunday in Knoxville. Senior Janet Kim was responsible for Yale's only point as she won a match over a nationally ranked opponent for the second straight day.
A day after losing to No. 16 Vanderbilt 6-1, the Bulldogs had no better luck against Tennessee Sunday. A day after defeating Vanderbilt's nationally ranked No. 28 Catherine Newman, Kim pulled out a 6-7, 7-5, (16-14) victory over Tennessee's Caitlin Whorskey, the No. 45 ranked singles player in the nation.
Yale also came away with a doubles victory in the loss Sunday. At No. 2 doubles, sophomore Lindsay Clark and freshman Vicky Brook pulled out an 8-6 victory over Rosalía Alda and Jennifer Meredith.
The Bulldogs will look to bounce back from these two losses when they travel to Dallas, Texas to take on Southern Methodist University March 8.
1. Whoriskey/Pluskota (T) def Janet Kim / Jessica Rhee (Y) 8-6
2. Lindsay Clark / Vicky Brook (Y) def Alda/Meredith (T) 8-6
3. Soebello/Zubor (T) def Sarah Lederhandler / Stevi Petrelli (Y) 8-2
1. Kim (Y) def Whoriskey (T), 6-7 (4), 7-5,16-14
2. Pluskota (T) def Rhee (Y), 7-6(6),6-4
3. Orlin (T) def Brook (Y), 6-2, 6-4
4. Alda (T) def Petrelli (Y) 6-2, 6-2
5. Zubor (T) def Clark (Y) 6-3, 6-3
6. Meredith (T) def Lederhandler (Y) 3-6,6-1,10-4
Report Filed by Steven Horn '10, Yale Sports Publicity