March 31, 2007
Providence, RI - The Bulldogs (5-7, 1-0) won their Ivy League opener Saturday as they cruised to a 6-1 victory over Brown (3-8, 0-1) in Providence. Yale won matches at No. 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 singles in the win.
At No. 1 singles, sophomore Janet Kim cruised to a 6-3, 6-1 victory over Daisy Ames. Freshman Sarah Lederhandler pulled out a 6-2, 2-6, 6-3 win against opponent Michelle Pautler at No. 2 singles. Playing No. 3 singles, senior Christine Alford handled Sara Mansur 6-4, 6-4. Freshman Jessica Rhee also came away with a straight set victory at No. 4 singles 6-3, 6-3. Senior captain Olivia Nix battled back after losing the first set 6-1 to win the match in a third set tiebreaker 10-6.
Yale also came away with the doubles point as they won matches at No. 1 and No. 2 doubles. The senior team of Alford and Nix won 8-6 at No. 1 doubles over Pautler and Mansur. At No. 2 doubles, the freshmen team of Rhee and Lederhandler cruised to an 8-4 victory over Kelley Kirkpatrick and Emily Ellis.
The Bulldogs return home Tuesday to battle Connecticut at 2:30 p.m. Yale then resumes Ivy play at Penn Friday.
1. Janet Kim (Y) Def. Daisy Ames (B), 6-3,6-1
2. Sarah Lederhandler (Y) Def. Michelle Pautler (B), 6-2,2-6,6-3
3. Christine Alford (Y) Def. Sara Mansur (B), 6-4,6-3
4. Jessica Rhee (Y) Def. Alexa Baggio (B), 6-3,6-3
5. Olivia Nix (Y) Def. Emily Ellis (B), 1-6,6-2,10-6
6. Tanja Vucetic (B) Def. Lilian Nguyen (Y), 6-7,6-2,10-6
1. Alford / Nix (Y) Def. Pautler / Mansur (B), 8-6
2. Rhee / Lederhandler (Y) Def. Kelley Kirkpatrick / Ellis (B) 8-4
3. Ames / Kathrin Sorokko (B) Def. Lindsey Dashiell / Kim (Y) 8-2
Report filed by Steven Horn '10, Yale Sports Publicity