No. 55 Yale Edges No. 47 Princeton, 4-3
April 3, 2009
PRINCETON, N.J. - The No. 55 nationally-ranked Yale women's tennis team bounced back from last weekend's Ivy League loss against Brown with an impressive 4-3 win at No. 47 Princeton on Friday afternoon. The match saw three singles matches go to a deciding third set, and five of the six singles contests featured a game that went to a tiebreaker. Yale improves to 10-5 on the season and 1-1 in league play. Princeton, which had its four match winning streak snapped, falls to 13-7 overall and evens its Ivy League mark at 1-1.
In the No. 1 singles match, No. 124 ranked Janet Kim, the 2008 Ivy League Player of the Year, defeated Princeton's Lauren McHale in straight sets, 7-6 and 6-2. Vicky Brook, the Bulldogs' No. 3 singles player, also won in straight sets, 6-3, 7-6. No. 4 singles player Lindsay Clark and No. 6 Sarah Lederhandler both battled three-set victories for Yale.
Though the Tigers claimed the doubles point, the Yale team of Brook and Clark earned a win in the No. 2 slot, 8-3.
The Bulldogs will continue the Ivy League schedule tomorrow against Penn. Action in Philadelphia begins at noon.
1. Janet Kim (Y) d. Lauren McHale, 7-6, 6-2
2. Hilary Bartlett (P) d. Jessica Rhee, 7-5, 5-6, 6-3
3. Vicky Brook (Y) d. Melissa Saiontz, 6-3, 7-6
4. Lindsay Clark (Y) d. Taylor Marable, 5-7, 6-2, 6-2
5. Rachel Saiontz (P) d. Stevi Petrelli, 6-3, 6-1
6. Sarah Lederhandler (Y) d. Blakely Ashley, 6-2, 2-6, 6-4
1. Bartlett / Marable (P) d. Kim / Rhee, 8-5
2. Brook / Clark (Y) d. McHale / R. Saiontz, 8-3
3. Ashley / M. Saiontz (P) d. Petrelli / Lilian Nguyen, 8-2
report filed by Drew M. Kingsley, Yale Sports Publicity